What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attitude Indicator dead due to aerobatics?

1flyingyogi

Well Known Member
So my attitude indicator (mechanical) went Tango Uniform on me last week. I was told that doing aerobatics without caging your gyro instruments will cause them to fail prematurely, which is what I think happened. Mine is not cage-able.

Can these things be fixed or do I need to buy a new one. I was surprised at how expensive they are! I was considering an electrical replacement, but for $2300+, I might as well get an EFIS.

Just trying to figure out what my options are. I don't want to buy another mechanical one and have it fail again after a short time of doing aerobatics. Any suggestions/ ideas??

Do I need to worry about my other gyro instruments also (heading indicator and turn and bank)? How can I avoid them failing prematurely?

Brian
RV4 O-320 carburated, FP Sterba, Raven 1/2 inverted oil, steam gauges

Brian,

I don't know the answer to your specific question but I have to say that I'm very impressed that you've had your license probably less than a year and your RV-4 less then that and you already broke it doing aerobatics.

You inspire me.

Have you considered the Garmin G5 as a replacement? It may fit the hole, costs less and probably performs better.

Brian,

I don't know the answer to your specific question but I have to say that I'm very impressed that you've had your license probably less than a year and your RV-4 less then that and you already broke it doing aerobatics.

You inspire me.

Have you considered the Garmin G5 as a replacement? It may fit the hole, costs less and probably performs better.

No, I haven't looked at the G5. I hardly know anything about EFIS's, but was gravitating towards the Dynon b/c I've heard they're user friendly and a lot of people seem to use and like them. I'll look into Garmin.

As far as aerobatics and just flying in general, I can't help myself - I absolutely love it! It's actually been only 10 months since I passed my check-ride for Private and I've already logged 170hrs total, flown in 5 different states, enjoying aerobatics (at a beginner/ rec level), and done a handful of projects on the plane. All this would not have been possible without the amazing resource of VAF and EAA and great people like yourself! Thank you!

I only wish I had more time. It seems like every minute of my free time now is either flying or tinkering with the plane. I spend more time at the hangar and in the air now than at home on my days off! :)

Same thing happened to me several years ago. Replaced mechanical gyro with Dynon D10A. Same hole, same weight, almost same price. Aerobatics don't affect solid state gyros.
As a matter of fact, now days you can probably find a used D10A for less than rebuilding your old gyro. Many people upgrading like I eventually did.

G5

If it where me, I'd be putting in a G5. I have a Dynon 10a it's nice but too long. The G5 has plenty of room behind it. I added a G3X system and moved my Dynon to the far left of my panel just before the G5 came out. Just barely had enough room for the 10a. Definitely do one of these two.

GRT Mini

And while you're looking, check out the GRT Mini. Full EFIS capability as well as being able to add engine, weather and ADSB and auto pilot if you so desire.

I'll second the vote for a GRT Mini-X. I know the Garmin G5 is a great box, but unless one spends a bunch more to throw in additional integration, one doesn't get magnetic heading but rather GPS course. The Mini-X can talk to the optional digital magnetometer and thus can provide magnetic heading. And it can have an internal backup battery that keeps it running for hours. And it now can display AoA, too.

I put a used Dynon D10A in my panel, and removed the electric gyro. Had to update my W&B after that, the electric gyro weighed a ton and the D10A weighed almost nothing in comparison. Watch for a used D10A to come up, it'll be a lot less than a new one. I don't know the price of the G5 but many people are using them and happy with them, and it is smaller and lighter.

I find the Dynon D10A user interface to be user friendly, and like the Garmin GPS user interfaces as well. If the G5 was designed with the same philosophies in mind I suspect it will also be user friendly.

Aero ang Gyros

Yes, aerobatics is hard on the mechanical gyros bearings. I have the same issue on a Citabria. Digital is the way to go....

On a somewhat related note....

So I too was doing some light acro the other day, and while the attitude displays on the Skyview and backup D-6 handled it all flawlessly, the Garmin GTN 625 GPS lost lock, couldn't get it back and it finally took a power reset (pulling/re-setting circuit breaker) to get it to re-initialize and "find" itself again.

Anyone have something like that happen? The Skyview GPS didn't have a problem (glareshield mounted antenna).

The GTN antenna is mounted on the firewall under the cowling.

Over the top acro, etc., all at or less than 3 "G's".

:confused::confused:

Actually, GPS course is much more useful than magnetic heading. Unless you're being vectored, you fuss around trying to find a heading that will give you the desired course. With GPS, you read it out directly.

Back when I was selling gyros for a rebuild shop, I learned that caging the gyro for aerobatics does **NOT** reduce bearing wear.

On my RV-9A panel, the vibration was such that the Dynon unit had problems. The G5 had similar problems till a software upgrade came along, and no problems since. (Dynon was great in replacing the first unit and then refunding for the second unit.)

Definitely abandon the mechanical gyros.

Ed

G5

I've got a new G5 and recently tried a few loops and rolls with it. It kept up just fine. John

Last edited:
Do I need to worry about my other gyro instruments also (heading indicator and turn and bank)? How can I avoid them failing prematurely?

Brian
RV4 O-320 carburated, FP Sterba, Raven 1/2 inverted oil, steam gauges

My bet is your DG will be next, but the turn and bank may be ok since it is a rate gyro. Nothing you can do as far as I know. However any of the mini efis systems mentioned will replace all 3 for VFR use.

Don't forget the MGL Xtreme. Uses external attitude and heading sensors but is a drop in and can give you engine monitoring if so desired.

It is a crowded marketplace for sure and all have pros and cons too numerous to list here. Research required + input of your own mission requirements.

Thanks for everyone's input. I am heavily leaning towards the Garmin G5 at this point. Although if a used Dynon D10A came along at a good price, I might consider that.

For those who have the G5 (or similar like the Dynon D6, etc.) how difficult is the installation? How long did it take you and what was the hardest part of the install?

My mission: something simple, user friendly, economical and easy enough to install that even I can do it. I do not need a whole lot of fancy functions, although if I can add engine monitoring and an AP to it in the future, that's a nice bonus. But for now, I just want something to replace my mechanical gyros and be able to do so without much fuss or spending a whole lot of $.

Is there anything else out there you guys think I should consider besides the G5?

G5 Install

The G5 install and setup is very easy. Just about 4 wires, as I recall, for the stand alone installation plus pitot and static lines. The backup battery attaches directly to the G5. I bought the GPS antenna as well. The antenna comes with the BNC connector on the coax, and there is enough coax to put the antenna behind the seats. The nice thing about installing the G5 is that it fits easily between the panel and subpanel even with the backup battery attached to the unit. I didn't have to cut any holes in my subpanel. If you have a Garmin SL30, or 430W you can use the G5's HSI feature via RS232. I haven't been able to make it work with my VAL Nav2000, however. John

i am tending toward the GRT for my gyro upgrade in the future. :)
P1020219.jpg

Back