What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Foggles

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
here is an easy way to make a cheap per of foggles. Use cheap safety glasses or an old pair and make them.

store bought:

Here is the pair that I have taped off. I just sprayed with SEM primer.

I don' have a picture of the sprayed pair.

For older pilots

I've got a pair of wrap around sunglasses with reader lenses built in that I bought from Bass Pro. When I need foggles I just cover everything but the reader lenses with blue painters tape. (Including little curtains of tape off the arms to block peripheral vision.) When I'm done the tape comes off and I've got my flying sunglasses back. John

Last edited:
I have done a few of these (at least two) The only problem with mine is that the paint does flake off over time and the tiny holes that let light in are a bit distractive. But they are easy to do and cheap. The best part of them is that they fit over my prescription glasses easily.

Easier still, and with no chance of flaking, just tape off the part you want to see through and take some sandpaper to the rest. Sanded plastic has the added benefit of looking just like fog. ;)

Here's the budget foggles option, for when you're short on time and funds. AKA BCG's. :) This is Justin. He's an inventive and creative mechanical engineering student. He's also 20 years old and has already worked three engineering internships at a certain aircraft manufacturer and has his commercial pilot license. One of the best pilots I've flown with!

Last edited:
Back