What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Falcon Flight Formation Training Clinic - KGYI - 2019

N520TX

Well Known Member
Falcon Flight will be hosting a Formation Training Clinic on April 5/6/7 2019 at the North Texas Regional Airport – KGYI. The weather-out dates will be April 26/27/28. This is a closer location to those coming from the north/east than the ones we’ve held in the past. We have created a group at https://groups.io/g/KGYI-2019-FormationClinic to handle the logistics. Use the link to request membership in this group, then add a line with your information to the Clinic Signup Table.

We will be using this group for all information distribution. Further details regarding scheduling et al are forthcoming and will be disseminated through that group. We’re looking at a cost of $60 per person to cover van rentals, food, drink and other incidentals.

A limit of 32 participants is in place. Newcomers and advanced are welcome. We will also be going over the changes to 8900.1 that apply to carded pilots when operating within a certificate of waiver (airshows).

All hotel information is found in the FILES section of the group. If you have any intent on participating, make sure to get your room booked early before the group rate expires - you can cancel up to 48hrs prior to arrival at no penalty.

Last edited:
I have a quick question if I may.

I would love to participate it?s why I purchased my 7. My concern is I have only owned my RV7 for 8 months and have low time over all. 200 hours and 20 in my 7.

Can I participate? Should I participate? With the limited number of spots and I already see on the sign up sheet many folks with lots of formation experience I don?t want to take a slot from someone... if that makes sense.

Overall it looks like blast. Thanks for the feedback. Sean

A Newbie

Hi Sean--

All we ask is that you have "good stick and rudder skills" - newbies are totally welcome. The ground school will be well worth it, and the red-scary guys are paired up with a safety pilot for at least the first couple of flights.

Typically, the first flight will be in the aircraft of your safety pilot while he/she demonstrates the maneuvers and best practices. Then you two migrate to your own aircraft to continue the training. When the safety pilot decides, it's at that point you are let go to solo in limited formation.

I wouldn't let "newness" hold you back, I was a red-scary guy once, for 3 clinics !

Formation Clinics for the RV-10?

I notice that neither the Falcon nor KC Formation Training Clinics accept the RV-10. I'm not sure why that is since the RV-10 has about the same speed and climb as the rest of the RV fleet (with the exception of the RV-12 which is much slower).

Are there any formation clinics that are either specific to the RV-10 or that accept the RV-10 in a mix with other RVs?

Just curious right now as I my RV-10 is still under construction. But I would like to give formation flying a try in the future, after completing Phase 1.

Thanks

My thoughts ...

Hi Dave--

Personally, I think it's a combination of things right now - critical mass and training experience being the top two. We've not really had enough interest in the RV10 at clinics to put together a flight of 4 ships *with* safety pilots and flight leads that have the 10 experience. No one has done the math to determine the site lines that would guarantee no wing overlap, etc. "Cabin-class" aircraft have different visibilities/limitations that need to be explored and understood. Bonanza's and Grumman's do it, so RV10s can as well. FFI has no 'official' data in the supplements that address the differences of the 10. I've done very light formation in my RV10, but nothing coming close to the dynamics you'd see in a formation clinic or the air show environment. I will say, though, that is changing, as I practice with some fellow team mates.

Can a 10 mix in with a 4 ship of 7/8's ? I'd say it could - but a solid 4-ship of 10's would be a great place to start. Is clinic participation in the future ? I'd be willing to bet yes, if enough demand is there. I, for one, would raise my hand.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I may just go for the ground school and take the ride that way I can learn and not burn up a flying spot.

I'm sooo looking forward to flying with u guys when my -7 is done! I'm planning on first flight this year.

Our great friend Joe Blank did that work for the 12. And our FFI founder put out the guidance in version 2.6. See attached link.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=114247

The 12 legwork is in place ! Thanks Axel !

Here is a VAF post that Joe made on the RV-12: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=824053&postcount=23

I was the FFI guy that worked / flew in the RV-12s in 2014. I provided comments back to Joe and Stu. Unfortunately I cannot find my comments but most were that some speeds were a little too high. My recommendation going forward is to start with the speeds Joe published and revise as experience is gained.

More searching after writing this, I found a post with some of my comments here.

Last edited:
Anything can fly straight and level next to anything else, assuming the pilots have formation fundamentals. Clinics are about substantially expanding the safe formation envelope beyond straight and level, which leverages maneuverability, visibility and load factor.

If you have a chance to get a full orientation ride at a typical RV clinic, it will be clear to you why the RV-10/12 platforms are discouraged.

Once your -10 is done, check into Bonanza and Mooney clinics that train to FFI standards. The performance and maneuvering limits are comparable and I'm sure you will be more than welcome, as they generally accept other type aircraft with similar performance characteristics.

I notice that neither the Falcon nor KC Formation Training Clinics accept the RV-10. I'm not sure why that is since the RV-10 has about the same speed and climb as the rest of the RV fleet (with the exception of the RV-12 which is much slower).

Are there any formation clinics that are either specific to the RV-10 or that accept the RV-10 in a mix with other RVs?

Just curious right now as I my RV-10 is still under construction. But I would like to give formation flying a try in the future, after completing Phase 1.

Falcon Flight Formation Clinic April 5-7

For those wanting to attend the Falcon Flight Clinic April 5-7 2019 we have created a group at https://groups.io/g/KGYI-2019-FormationClinic to handle the logistics.

Couple of questions asked:

Do we still have slots? YES! (Once we reach the limit we will publish it.)

Is there hangar space? NO, Please bring long tie downs as this used to be a military base so the tie downs in some spots are pretty far apart.

Keep the questions coming.

Falcon Flight Clinic Date Change

The WX is not going to cooperate for April 5-7 so we are rescheduling the clinic to April 26-28 and hope the WX will work out. The original link still is the best way to sign up. Hopefully those that could not make it due to Sun n fun now can!
And yes we do realize this is the same weekend as the KC Flight Clinic and this was our backup date due to our Airshow season starting.

Falcon Flight Formation Clinic NOW April 26-28

Falcon Flight will be hosting a Formation Training Clinic on April 26-28th, 2019 at the North Texas Regional Airport ? KGYI. This is a closer location to those coming from the north/east than the ones we?ve held in the past. We have created a group at https://groups.io/g/KGYI-2019-FormationClinic to handle the logistics. Use the link to request membership in this group, then add a line with your information to the Clinic Signup Table.

We will be using this group for all information distribution. Further details regarding scheduling et al are forthcoming and will be disseminated through that group. We?re looking at a cost of $60 per person to cover van rentals, food, drink and other incidentals.

A limit of 32 participants is in place. Newcomers and advanced are welcome. We will also be going over the changes to 8900.1 that apply to carded pilots when operating within a certificate of waiver (airshows).

All hotel information is found in the FILES section of the group. If you have any intent on participating, make sure to get your room booked early before the group rate expires - you can cancel up to 48hrs prior to arrival at no penalty.

Still room

There are still some slots open for the Falcon Flight Formation Clinic if interested and not already attending the KC Clinic.

Back