What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine fire on start procedure

I developed the normal and emergency checklists for my -7A (with carbureted O-360) from others I found online and what made sense for my airplane. However, I'm questioning the procedure for an engine fire on start, where checklists say to keep cranking in an attempt to get a start and suck the flames into the engine. All of my fuel lines are on the firewall, with exception of one leading from a red cube flow sensor to the carb. The carb intake is far forward and coupled to the cowl intake with rubber skirt, per the plans. So I'm wondering if trying to get a start is a waste of time and I should go directly to shutting off fuel. Unless the procedure is for an over-priming situation where fuel runs down inside the carb? My priming procedure is to briefly open a solenoid valve with a momentary-on rocker switch after turning on the fuel pump before start. Thoughts? How likely is it for a solenoid to stick open?

In the case of either an exhaust or a carb fire, I cant think of any reason why you would want to stop cranking. It does make sense to me that if you know you have a carb fire, to shut your fuel off, but keep cranking cause you'll still be burning whatever has puddled in the intake and thats what youre trying to put out. How you know you have a carb fire doesnt seem obvious to me however, since your carb isnt on top as with a radial.....

Just my thoughts.

Engine fire

Engine fire

Keep cranking
Throttle full open
Mixture ICO
Boost off
Fuel off
Mags off
Master off

Get out and extinguish if possible

Engine fire

Keep cranking
Throttle full open
Mixture ICO
Boost off
Fuel off
Mags off
Master off

Get out and extinguish if possible

Perhaps not in that order though... I would suggest mixture ICO prior to full throttle. You don't want the engine to catch and immediately go to full power.

I was also going to say only use primer if you really need it on a cold day after it fails to start without it.

My starting procedure (carb) is to start cranking, give the throttle a push and pull it back again (gives it a squirt of fuel) and it always starts nearly immediately.

Let me know if I should be doing it another way.

Back