Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-21-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFSchaller View Post
I had 6 airplanes before finishing my RV-12, and none had an autopilot. For 27 years I hand flew trips that frequently were over 1000 NM. I elected to put in the autopilot in my RV-12, and I got so spoiled that I put an AP in my Cherokee too. If you do a lot of cross country flying you will be glad you put in the AP.
You'll never know how fatiguing a cross country flight really is . . . until you do the same flight with an autopilot or second pilot handling all the cruise legs.
I would not own a cross country airplane without one. Not to mention the safety aspect.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:45 AM

To each his own but I am not going to spend close to $100k to build a plane with a modern glass panel and not put an autopilot in it. Whether I use it not is a different matter.

As over priced as they are, there a tons of 172's out there for less than the cost of building a 12 if I wanted to own a 100kt plane without an EFIS and new radios and an autopilot.
Need a wing kit
Old 08-23-2019, 11:19 AM

Joe,

Looking back at the money I spent building 4 homebuilts over the last 30 years I could have bought a nice used Bonanza, but I would have missed out on a very educational and fulfilling build process. If flying is the priority you are better off finding a nice used airplane, but building your plane adds a whole new dimension to the experience.

Rich
Old 08-23-2019, 12:55 PM

Oh I agree. I'm building because I want to build. Buying would be quicker easier and cheaper. But then I'd miss out on the experience of building and that's an experience that I want to have.

But I still stand by my statement. The autopilot adds $2500 to $3000 or a 12ULS kit cost and under $2000 to an iS build. That is such a small percentage of the total cost it seems silly to leave it off when you consider the capability it adds even if you rarely use it.
Need a wing kit