VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-12-2019, 10:00 AM

Question ADS-B Public Report problem

I installed a uAvionix Echo UAT which was pre-mounted and pre-configured on a GRT Safe-Fly 2020 GPS.

It appears to be working correctly including via WiFi on an iPhone and an iPad on FlyQ and ForeFlight respectively. Both show other traffic, etc. The traffic reports agree with my Zaon PCAS, too.

After two flights for which the "public report" came back saying no record, on my third attempt I contacted Detroit Approach and asked if they could see my ADS-B. They could. I was just outside the veil at more than 3000 AGL.

The public report request came back "no report" again. I responded as they suggested to the email address it provided and gave all the data including the remark that ATC could see my ADS-B.

The reply to my email ignored that I told them ATC could see it and said the my device is not transmitting.

I have a call in to the local FSDO (left message of course).

Anyone have any relevant experience or tech advice to share? THANKS.
Paid $25.00 "dues" net of PayPal cost for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 (December).
This airplane is for sale: see website. my website

Old 08-12-2019, 10:29 AM

I had a similar issue with the same unit upon my install. You are likely sending and receiving info but its not being tied to your N number. I cant recall the specifics of the fix, but go through the uavionix set up steps checking for places where you enter info that identifies your plane. I recall that there are more than one instances of this in the data entry. Good luck

erich
Old 08-13-2019, 02:25 AM

Also make sure you aren't in the "anonymous" mode. That will result in a "no report", as well.
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2019 Donation+, Gladly Sent
Old 08-13-2019, 06:38 AM

Default Sensitivity

No report means your transponder pairing with echo is no there. Call uavionics and get them to help you turn up sensitivity on device. No report means squawk and no attitude reporting seen by FAA
Old 08-13-2019, 09:38 AM

Default Alll good ideas but all done already

When I talked to Detroit approach they where seeing both my ADS-B and my transponder and, obviously, were able to see that they were the same airplane. They were also seeing my correct altitude from my transponder.

I had already confirmed that my tail number, ICAO were configured and that I was not in anonymous mode. I made some of those and other configuration errors in the earlier flights.

My plan now is to take it to an avionics shop and spent the $$ to check it on the ground, get that report and put it in my log.
Paid $25.00 "dues" net of PayPal cost for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 (December).
This airplane is for sale: see website. my website

Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1166 View Post
No report means your transponder pairing with echo is no there. Call uavionics and get them to help you turn up sensitivity on device. No report means squawk and no attitude reporting seen by FAA
If this is for N17HH, I can tell you that tail number and code (A1178B) has never generated any hits in the FAA system for ADS-B. I somewhat question the information that Detroit Approach gave you.

Next time you fly, in ForeFlight, press More (lower right hand corner), choose Devices, and click your Echo UAT. About halfway down the page, depending on the iPad screen size that you have, you should see “Ownship.” Is if detected or not? If yes, your ADS-B is working. If it isn’t, then your ADS-B isn’t working.

Last edited by SPX : 08-13-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:06 AM

Since you're able to receive traffic on your iPad, you've at least confirmed that your echoUAT is powered and that the 978 antenna is connected to the transceiver.

If as @SPX says that no hits have been received by the FAA system, start with the easy stuff: make sure the echo is configured with the right N-number and ICAO code. You said you've done this, but it's good to double check that you haven't fat-fingered anything.

Fire up the uAvionix Echo Installer app next time you're at the plane and check the top few lines on the "Configuration" tab. It should look like this:

"ICAO Number" is a six-digit hex code starting with "A", and "Call Sign" should be your full N-number (including the N).

Also note the position of the pick menus for Control (UAT TX Enabled) and Anonymous Mode (Disabled).

Save your settings, then hop over to the "Monitor" tab. You should see something like this, with the call sign (e.g. N17HH) and address (A1178B) you previously entered.

If those are present, then take a look at Squawk, Pressure Altitude, Latitude / Longitude, and NIC / NACp. Blanks or zeros for any of those indicate that something isn't communicating with the echoUAT. and give you your next step for troubleshooting.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:55 PM

My RV-12 buddy has never been able to pass the Public Report. He's fiddled with the sensitivity as instructed, and contacted uAvionics. All they said was that they're coming out with a software update. Sheesh...
Old 08-13-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH1166 View Post
I don't think that is correct. If the Echo is transmitting the correct ICAO code and the correct N-number, you will get a report with Errors. If the sensitivity is wrong, you will get errors in Altitude.

A complete non-report is caused by other issues, usually in the setup.
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2019 Donation+, Gladly Sent
Old 08-13-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHunt View Post
I don't think that is correct. If the Echo is transmitting the correct ICAO code and the correct N-number, you will get a report with Errors. If the sensitivity is wrong, you will get errors in Altitude.

A complete non-report is caused by other issues, usually in the setup.
I concur, with the exception of if the sensitivity is wrong, you'll most likely get errors in the Mode 3/A column (because the Echo UAT does not know what your squawk code is), and possibly BARO altitude depending on your exact setup.