- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2019, 02:20 PM

Default RV-10 takeoff Power settings

Iím curious what others are using throughout takeoff and initial climb.

My home field is 1,200 MSL and at full throttle, forward prop Iím pushing 28Ē and 2680 RPM. Iím off the field in 500 ft, I shallow out around 500 agl and aim for 115 knots. At 1,000 agl I pull back squaring at 25Ē/2500. During climb out I adjust these settings to keep CHTs under wraps.

My RV-10 seems to have more power than the RV-10 I did transition training and more effective power through probably less drag than the 182 that I received my hp endorsement on.

It all works, just wondering if Iím being too aggressive.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 03-29-2019, 02:23 PM

Just making sure you saw this recent (but relatively short) thread..

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=169867
RV10 - #41687
http://adamsrv10.wordpress.com
N810AB Reserved
Old 03-29-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
Just making sure you saw this recent (but relatively short) thread..

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=169867
I did see that. More interested in what others are using for power settings when taking off, the first 1,000 ft or so. Like those that posted in the above I find that going slower than 115 knots at my climb setting with result in climbing CHTs.
http://operationrv10.blogspot.com/
Old 03-29-2019, 03:39 PM

My climb out consists of full power until 1500 agl. I then reduce power to 25/2500. I maintain 120kts in the climb and always keep the CHTs under 400. I lean in the climb to 1300 deg egt, which is usually close to the takeoff egt. I also continue to increase power setting in the climb, not exceeding 25”. I generaly cruise above 9000ft. LOP. I always cruise at 2400rpm and full throttle.
WA0SYV
Aviation Partners, LLC
Old 03-29-2019, 05:49 PM

Justin, I would suggest adjusting your prop so your reaching the max 2700 RPMs. 20 RPM makes a difference, especially at high altitude airports. I found 120 kits seems to be a nice climb speed (both for cooling and vertical speed) after clearing the airport and proper obstacle clearance. I prefer keeping the prop around 2600-2650 on the climb. I keep the throttle full on climb out until reaching cruise altitude, then set mixture/prop accordingly for your cruise. Remember, your manifold pressure will be naturally reduced as you climb. Also, just old school rules, I donít mess with throttle, prop, boost pump, etc. on the initial climb until at least 1000 feet plus AGL. This way if something burps, your at a safer altitude to respond to it.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:46 PM

Why on earth do people persist with this 25/25 OWT.

If you knew its origins, you would laugh. If I told you, it would make you think I was taking the <insert naughty word>.

So in summary, the engine is slightly worse off for you doing this. Is it critical, no, but it is real.

The most efficient climb-cruise-descent profile is achieved like this.

1. Takeoff at WOT/2700/full rich. At higher fields you may need to lean to about 1300dF (based on mags not EI's)
2. Climb WOT/2700/ Target EGT (1300 in these planes) and at Vz which is 120-125KIAS
3. Cruise WOT / 2300-2500 (pick a smooth spot, many use about 2300-2400) and appropriately LOP. That is 10-20dF at higher levels, 25-40 mid levels and 50-80 at sea level to say 3000'. A well executed Big Mixture Pull will be fine at any level.
4. descent .....nose over, maybe remove a few hundred RPM, back the throttle off to remain out of the yellow arc.......Mixture leave well alone unless there is any sign of stumbles, then only tweak it enough to smooth them out. Land, ICO at the hangar or ramp. If you really cant do the lean landing, go full rich and then lean again for taxi.

The engine is rated at full power all day long. 25/25 was borne out of old WWII pilots who became instructors and they had to find a power reduction from METO in their old warbirds......there was not one, so when they found a recommended cruise climb of 25/2500 (marketing blurb not engineering based) they had discovered what was missing. That was it!

I know it sounds too silly to be true, but my friend and training partner John Deakin lived back in those days and lived through it. Probably in the engine articles on Pelicans Perch he will have written about this OWT. If not, here it is now.

Hope that is helpful.

David Brown

DYNON Authorised Dealer and Installer

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!
Old 03-29-2019, 07:10 PM

I always thought the throttle had only two positions, takeoff and land.

I go to above 1,500í at 2700 rpm and bring the prop back to 2,500. Climb is 130 Knots to cruise altitude. Mixture comes back at 5,000í density altitude to about 13 gph. At cruise, usually above 15,000 for long legs (depending on winds) prop to 2,300 rpm and lean to peak and then richen to peak speed. The throttle never leaves full forward.

(On descent I hand to admit to pulling the throttle a bit to avoid the over speed nag.)
HP-18 5596S flying since '89
RV-10 996S tail, quick build wing and slow build fues., - dual Skyviews with complete system, two radio and not much else. Interior completely finished with Zolatone. CF plenum, interior complete. 1624 lbs, FLYING after a 21.5 month build.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:34 AM

Bruce,

Why do you reduce to 2500 RPM at 1500' ? You probably know it but that is reducing your available power for climb. It is also harder on the engine, by a small amount.

I would suggest the 5000' action is much harder on the engine. You should check it out in terms of how far ROP you are, the red box principal is worth considering. Target EGT climbs manage this a lot better. https://www.advancedpilot.com/redbox.html
https://www.advancedpilot.com/tech.html Download the target EGT file.

Cruise above 10k' you might as well go fast if you want. Thats about 75-100dF ROP and no problem there at those powers.

David Brown

Old 03-30-2019, 05:56 AM

Default Being a good neighbor -- noise control

I have no argument with the WOT/2700 operation for aircraft efficiency --- but, I live in a heavily populated, noise-sensitive area --- I try to minimize my noise footprint by reducing power and RPM as soon as practical--- and climb to a higher altitude slower.
We do have a few individuals that leave their prop screaming at high RPM and their presence is certainly apparent.

Just saying --

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 03-31-2019, 04:23 AM

Ron, if noise is the issue, leave the throttle and mixture forward. Break ground, reduce to 2600, that first 100 rpm drop gets rig of a huge amount of noise. Once you are through 1500' go back to 2700.

This does everything it should and nothing it shouldn't.

Hope that helps.

David Brown