- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2018, 11:37 AM

Default When someone is stranded--"AOG"

Just a general observation and opinion: When someone is stranded and posting on VAF for help, it might be a good idea to only reply or add to the post if you are going to help them. I mean, put yourself in their shoes and imagine what it is like to be stranded at an airport, praying that someone is going to come help you. Every time you log on to VAF to see if help is coming you have 20 comments with people discussing among themselves who knows more about airplanes, or nick-picking a non safety-to-flight observation about your photo.
I am all for the debate. I think it raises all of our knowledge and skills. I'm just saying that the debate should wait until the person has been rescued, or maybe started as a new post.- Food for Thought...

To the moderator: Is there a way to keep a request for help active at the top so they do not disappear to the 2nd page ? [ed. Made it a sticky. Good idea. v/r,dr]
1978 PA38-112

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 12-27-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:36 PM

I think this is a good idea, and hopefully common courtesy.

<removed thread drift thought>

Thanks,
Levi

Last edited by LNSelf : 12-28-2018 at 12:00 AM. Reason: removed words
Old 12-27-2018, 01:05 PM

Yes, I noticed the same thing on a recent thread where there was a lot of noise in between the actual helpful posts. And I agree it would be really frustrating when one was stuck at a strange location trying to read a thread and pick out the one post that might save your butt.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017 (sans fiberglass)
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Donated for 2019 and so should you

Last edited by mfleming : 01-08-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:30 PM

While I can't fully disagree here, it is not like the guy is searching for help while flying an instrument approach. While not stranded, I have come here for help in solving my problems and was quite thankfull for the resource. I happily scanned past the irrelevant bantering without thinking twice about the 5-10 seconds wasted in that effort.

Larry
Old 12-27-2018, 02:06 PM

Industry standard term is, "Aircraft on Ground" or, "AOG". Would be my sticky section title suggestion.

Funny aside, "AOG" is the Tacan and NDB Idents at NAS Rota, Andalusia Spain, a GREAT place to be AOG for a spell.

Coincidence? Discuss. Yes, I can thread drift a naming convention post.

Label:

Last edited by moosepileit : 12-27-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:30 AM

But one mans helpful is another mans dangerous advice.

Look at the recent thread. Someone suggested using super glue. Clearly that prop was badly damaged beyond any safe repair. IMHO If no one had spoken up maybe a pilot desperate to get home might just try it.

OK so that was a bit extreme and probably no one would have gone out and bought some super glue to get home. But you never know.

I'm not advocating everyone chips in and tries to prove they are the most clever person here, as some do. But people shouldn't be put off from adding a comment if its related.

If we can't express opinions how are we ever going to solve the Slider/Tipup debate?
Old 12-28-2018, 07:01 AM

Slider
RV-10 - Partnered with a good friend

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 12-28-2018, 07:33 AM

Default Agreed

I was stranded due to a delaminated prop and welcome all the advice I got. I was even going to point out to Sensenich when preparing to twist their arm into mounting a prop on my plane that nearly 10,000 views had occurred on my post and that I would spread the good word and sing their praises. Yadda yadda yadda.

But then the forum descended into some silliness a la Reddit haha.

Godwin’s law almost demonstrated itself within 53 replies, it seemed
KLMO
www.brooksmershon.com
Old 12-28-2018, 12:37 PM

Default Loaner Prop?

I think it would be a great idea to have a spare wooden prop lined up in case of an AOG situation. I got stranded once like you and, luckily, I had a spare prop in my hangar. My wife boxed it up and UPS sent it across the Country to where I was stranded. UPS Next Day cost $350 and we got bit by the weekend so it took three days to arrive. But that was better than waiting two weeks or two months to have a new prop fabricated. My Lancair is unique (62x75), but with thousands of RV owners here, maybe you could get together and buy a couple of loaner props for emergencies. Stuff happens.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
......NAS Rota, Andalusia Spain, a GREAT place to be AOG for a spell.
Late 1986 I was stationed in Germany working F-15s, had a jet go to Rota on a XC trip and break. Pilot left the jet in the good hands of the Navy's Transit Line folks and took the rotator home. Got the word; "Pack up your gear for 2-3 days at the most fix the jet and come home". Well, between equipment problems, availability of spare parts and such we ended up spending two, almost three weeks there. Once we got everything we needed, it literally was only about 3-4 hours work to fix the jet but spent the rest of the time waiting on supplies. But we had a great time in the sun legally goofing off while it was snowy, overcast and cold back in Deutschland. Good times!