- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-11-2019, 02:53 PM

Default Usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
When you fill up your car there's no bonding cables used, although nozzle is metal and your usually putting in 20 gallons or more in some cases. There are warnings about static discharge so either its a rare occurance and we're just lucky I guess...
All cars in usa have metal filler necks and metal nozzles. So the car is connected to the pump. Also usa tires are conductive and concrete around pumps is also conductive. So as long as one fills up at a gas station in usa, grounding is automatic. Hence the warnings to make sure extra fuel containers are on ground when filling. The real trouble comes when one fills up away from a gas station using cans. Way back when, a car manufacturer tried using a plastic filler neck. Within a few months there was a recall to replace with metal filler necks as I recall.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2019, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings done less tips and avionics
Fuselage 30%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 08-11-2019, 03:08 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
I got no skin in this game because I plan to pump but at some point I will be moving fuel to test fuel flow, etc.
Does anyone use racing gas cans? They dump gas really fast. We used them for years refueling the race car. No grounds, no bare hands touching anything. Fully covered with racing gear. Maybe every team was lucky, but I never saw a fire on pit row. Maybe they are made for it?
I have 8 of the plastic Jegs Jugs I use, and yes - they fuel fast! However, I am not using them for Avgas - keeping Jet A in them to top off when I need it. No special grounding seems to be needed for the kerosene (and the jugs are blue, not red....much cheaper that way!).

Paul
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 08-11-2019, 07:45 PM

Default Not the Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by N804RV View Post
I'm at AWO. I run 0-E in my Sonerai. Nelson's is about 1.5 miles from AWO, and they have 92 octane 0-E. And, its cheaper than what AFS was selling it for on the field. Also, River Rock Smoke Shop, on Smokey Point BLVD has 89 octane 0-E.

For those of you that haven't discovered it yet, check out https://www.pure-gas.org.

Also, for those of you that can hoist a gas can and don't like the one-gallon-per-minute gas pump rigs, nor the "Safety-can" style ****, you can still buy the old utility jug used by dirt-bikers for years.

https://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Squ...gateway&sr=8-3

Touching airplane and jug before and during fueling, never had a static issue.
I can purchase high octane no ethanol in Mv but buying it, hauling it and hand fuelin the RV12 from cans I donít like. Doesnít have anything to do with price and everything to do do with convenience.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Put 12 gallons of 91 Mogas in a friends RV-12 on Saturday. Price per gallon, for premium (it was Conoco fuel at a Costco very near the airport) $3.399. This is in So CA, our road tax on gasoline makes me sick, and our roads are still some of the worst in condition in the lower 48.

Price at airport, last time he was in a hurry and paid the pumper to meet him at his hangar $5.69 a gallon. Usually $5.29 at the pump on the tarmac, and it pumps slow as molasses.

I bought a nice breakfast for both of us with the savings on Mogas.

I have old 6 gallon plastic cans with vents on the top side when pouring. I make sure to touch side of can to fuselage to ground out before I start pouring, as it's unpainted aluminum.

Yes, it's a little more work, and yes I am quite frugal, and Dutch, not Scottish, so almost as bad!

Last edited by NinerBikes : 08-12-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:58 PM

https://flofast.com/product/flo-fast...gallon-system/

I am almost ready to order this dual Flo-Fast 7.5 x 2 containers with a high quality hand pump and cart. Expensive at $519 but my choices are getting limited. My other choice is having a RDS 60 gallon DOT Aluminum Transfer Tank installed in my Nissan Frontier for $1399 ++ all in about $2000 with shipping and install.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:36 PM

go with the Flo Fast ....problem solved...
Old 08-12-2019, 08:29 PM

See... http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...35&postcount=1
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC N86203
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub N6841H
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC July 2012 N633CM
RV-12 Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 488

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks... EJ Trucks - Crew Chief A-4 Skyhawk
MJ Stricker (Father & CFI) - 1st Lt. Captain B-17H
Old 08-12-2019, 10:05 PM

Been using a Flo Fast setup for about 6 months, I have 3x 10.5 gal cans, and the ďproĒ pump which is said to be more robust and leakfree than the standard. It pumps about 1 gal per 10 rotations. Iíve found the 10.5 gal jugs easily hold 11gal usable with room to spare.
My concern with hauling fuel was cleanliness, so I set it up with a real canister filter (Hydrasorb) on the pump output. The pump has plenty of pressure to flow through the filter. I also got the filter foot thy offer for the pump as an extra layer of protection.

Not applicable for your 12, but I figure my savings over 100LL at my airport pump to be about $15/jug.
rv9a.pacificrimsound.com
Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 AM

Default Plastic

If the plastic cans are somewhat conductive they would better than metal cans because that would allow for slower discharge (no spark).

With can in one hand I always trouch the filler tube to the filler neck and keep the tube in contact with the filler neck while fueling, preferably with a finger in there too. So you have a ground path trough your body (can handle to filler neck) as well as filler neck directly to can tube.

Probably emptied 1,000 5-gallon cans into RV-3's over the years. But I do live in Florida: high humidity -- less chance of static build-up.

Finn

Last edited by FinnFlyer : 08-13-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPILOT View Post
https://flofast.com/product/flo-fast...gallon-system/

I am almost ready to order this dual Flo-Fast 7.5 x 2 containers with a high quality hand pump and cart. Expensive at $519 but my choices are getting limited. My other choice is having a RDS 60 gallon DOT Aluminum Transfer Tank installed in my Nissan Frontier for $1399 ++ all in about $2000 with shipping and install.

You supply the 5 gallon containers, fuel and batteries, but considerably easier on the wallet. 5 gallon jugs are a lot easier on the back at a little over 30#'s each, loading and unloading when full, out of the hatch of a SUV or truck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...3M3G048HD4Z3J8