VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-03-2017, 12:17 PM

Question Aerosun Vx inserts

We (and by "we" I mean my wife) have the wingtips for our RV-10 cut back and ready for the inserts from AeroLED. The instructions call for using 2x48 inch 5oz bidirectional fiberglass to glass in the inserts. I have searched high and low and can't find anything that matches that description. The closest i've come is 8.7 ounce.

For those of you who have installed the inserts necessary for the -10 and -14, what did you use? And did you use the milled glass in the epoxy?

If you have any other tips or tricks, we (and by "we" I mean we) are open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Jeff
(12/17/18) We are IN the hangar now!!! (KJVY)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Smile

A yard of this would probably do what you want

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/3733.php

At 5.8 oz, perhaps the instructions simply dropped the part after the decimal point...
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 11-03-2017, 05:10 PM

I used the same 4" fiberglass tape that I used on the windscreen fairing - Hesgon 4" - 420 (recommended by Wally Anderson in his Quickbuilding the Quickbuild class). I don't think finding the exact weight fiberglass tape is critical, as this isn't a critical structural joint.

I found that the fit of the glassed in insert wasn't perfect, but was easily smoothed by use of epoxy-micro and some sanding.

I also placed a couple lengths of this same fiberglass tape the length of the wing tips to stiffen them to reduce the chance of flexing with paint cracking from someone leaning on the edge in the future. There is a thread on this here on Vans Airforce.

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2019 VAF Dues Paid