What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LiFePO4 battery considerations

rocketbob

Well Known Member
Having done some work around testing Shorai batteries and studying how and why these batteries can fail and in some cases potentially catch fire, I've decided to make some changes to the electrical system to mitigate any potential failures that may result in a fire.

The biggest potential cause for a fire seems to be a dead short across the battery. The first place is at the battery so its mounted in such a way that there's no possibility of the terminals coming into contact with the airframe. That is easy to handle in this case because the batteries are so light they don't need much structure to hold them unlike heavy traditional lead aircraft batteries.

The other consideration is a short in one of the fat wires to the starter or alternator. I don't much worry about fixed wiring like to the fuse holders since its very unlikely to short by following known safe wiring practices. However, the starter and alternator are different. They shake, and the wires to them shake, so even though one can make the wiring safe I can't control something internally in the starter or alternator that could short.

I don't use external starter solenoids because of the noticeable degradation in performance from the small chance that the hot wire or starter could fail. External starter solenoids can and do fail as has been documented in other threads here.

Potentially with a LiFePO4 battery a massive short could cause a battery fire.

The solution is to put a larger 350A ANL current limiter in the starter wire as close to the battery as possible, and a smaller ANL to protect the alternator wire, which is done routinely.

Normally one doesn't see ANL fuses on starter wires but I do think it has merit with this type of battery and there really isn't any drawback to not putting one in, and is safer and more reliable than a starter solenoid.

Last edited:
Have a look at the AMG fuses, I think they may be a little better suited in that application.

It appears that there are fewer selections available with that type of fuse. Typically a starter will have an inrush current of 350A and then quickly settle down to 175A or so. At least that's been my experience, so an ANL seems well suited. But I will look into those fuses further.

Bob,
I just installed a Shorai LFX27A3-BS12 in my RV-8 today. The battery comes with numerous foam pads (shims) in various thicknesses to compensate for the smaller size and to fit in the battery box. These shims also provide vibration dampening if placed on the bottom and sides of the battery. I put the adhesive side of the shims on the battery itself in case I want to go back to the original battery installation in the future.
I have the battery on the firewall and was always nose heavy. The Shorai weighs 4 lbs. so a new W&B will be calculated soon.
After reading your post, do you think a LifePo battery is any more likely to have a fire/explosion than a lead acid battery during a massive short? I've got insulators on each battery terminal and on the starter and alternator. I did not think about putting in any other type of fuse or CB for protection. Do you think a blast tube toward the battery would help since it is in the engine compartment?
Keep me posted on your installation.
Thanks,
Ross

I to worried about this when making a choice of battery. I use the Full Spectrum P3 and it has short protection as can be seen in the snippet from the owners manual below:

The Integrated Protection Circuit provides an automatic current cutoff in case of a short circuit or forced discharge. In the event of a short circuit or forced discharge, the battery will cease to function until the short circuit condition is remedied; this protects you, your battery, and your vehicle from potential hazard.
The completion of UNDOT 38.3 testing certifies that the Pulse® batteries are deemed safe for all manner of commercial shipping, including air shipping, without the need for hazardous materials or Class 9 markings or training. No other battery offers this combination of lightweight, power, and safety

I did a report and posted here for anyone that may be interested:

http://www.biplaneforum.com/f16/full-spectrum-p3-install-9648/

Last edited:
Bob,
After reading your post, do you think a LifePo battery is any more likely to have a fire/explosion than a lead acid battery during a massive short?

Ross, yes I do. When I did load tests with the Shorai I heard some popping from the battery and it got warm. Not unexpected of course. If one takes some very reasonable precautions like mounting them in a stainless battery box and takes extra care to protect the wiring then I don't see why they can't be 100% safe.

Thanks for your research Bob. I would be very interested in seeing how you wire yours with circuit protection. I also insulated very well and re-checked the alternator and starter wiring for routing and possible chafing issues. From all I've read, I think the Shorai is a very good design with a good track record. But for now, I think I will check the packing date on my chute....
Thanks again,
Ross

Like your suggestion...

I already have a fuse on the alternator feed. Just ordered a fuse and holder for the starter feed.

Thanks!

A little input from EarthX ltihium batteries

We have been very busy here at EarthX gathering the information for you so you can make an informed decision.

We have talked with Vans Aircraft; chatted with some people from Super Cub; had excellent conversations with pilots from FedEx who also own private planes; communicated with Bob Knuckolls of AeroElectric Connection; and communicated with Dan Morris who designs aircraft electrical systems and works on getting batteries FAA approved.

Thank you to all of them!! They have all provided excellent questions and recommendations on what you need for information so we have updated our website, our manual to include much more technical information, and have a easy to read cross reference guide in the EXPERIMENTAL AIRCRAFT tab.

Have a great day and as my mother always says, "fly lightly".

Kathy

--snip--

Normally one doesn't see ANL fuses on starter wires but I do think it has merit with this type of battery and there really isn't any drawback to not putting one in, and is safer and more reliable than a starter solenoid.

I don't disagree with the fuse being more reliable, if properly sized. Presumably one of the reasons you do not use a starter solenoid is because of voltage drop across the contacts - how much of a drop will there be across a fuse?

I don't disagree with the fuse being more reliable, if properly sized. Presumably one of the reasons you do not use a starter solenoid is because of voltage drop across the contacts - how much of a drop will there be across a fuse?

Likely minimal due to not having oxidation to deal with on the contact surface. I have a four-wire milliohm meter I could probably check it with.

Back