- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-7/7A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Default SafeAir1

Are the SafeAir1 tanks still available? I can't find a working website for SafeAir1.

VAF Donation Made 8/2019
"Cum omni alio deficiente, ludere mortuis."
(When all else fails, play dead.)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:01 PM

Default Aux Tanks

Try http://hotelwhiskeyaviation.com/
These may be the same?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160kt View Post
Try http://hotelwhiskeyaviation.com/
These may be the same?
Yes, these are the tanks that SafeAir1 was handling.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)Sold
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 01-10-2018, 12:46 PM

Tuckey tanks

Construction Log
Picasa: Empennage Album, Wings Album, Fuselage Album

1955 Cessna 170B flying since 1982

'To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.' -Unk.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Default 1 hour aux tank on right seat

I'm reading all kinds of ideas for permanent aux fuel tanks. In the tips, drop tanks that don't drop, Hotel Whiskey.....

I don't see where anyone removed the right seat, securely mounted a 10-12 gallon bottom feed tank inside the cockpit, connected it to the vans supplied fuel selector and vented it to the exterior. Im considering this and would like to hear comments on this wisdom or lack thereof. An extra hour is all I need. Simple install and removable later.

I want to fly this 21 gallon per side RV7A from NE Ohio to Tampa with one fuel stop and do it COMFORTABLY. I flight plan 10 gallons per hour but believe the burn is less with my YIO-360-M1B. Probably can do it now but both arrivals will not leave any margin for error.

Thanks
Tim

Last edited by timotb : 08-08-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Default Bladder type ferry tank

Tim,

You might look into a bladder-style ferry tank. Turtlepac makes some specifically for small aircraft and there are probably other manufacturers. The smallest one I saw on a recent look at their site was 25 gal but they used to make them as small as ~10 gal. The price is higher than the rigid tank you describe, but the bladder does not need a vent and is designed to be held in place by existing harness.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timotb View Post
I'm reading all kinds of ideas for permanent aux fuel tanks. In the tips, drop tanks that don't drop, Hotel Whiskey.....

I don't see where anyone removed the right seat, securely mounted a 10-12 gallon bottom feed tank inside the cockpit, connected it to the vans supplied fuel selector and vented it to the exterior. Im considering this and would like to hear comments on this wisdom or lack thereof. An extra hour is all I need. Simple install and removable later.

I want to fly this 21 gallon per side RV7A from NE Ohio to Tampa with one fuel stop and do it COMFORTABLY. I flight plan 10 gallons per hour but believe the burn is less with my YIO-360-M1B. Probably can do it now but both arrivals will not leave any margin for error.

Thanks
Tim
Here you go - 7.5 gallon tanks that can fit behind either seat in the 7/9 and extend about 3" into the baggage compartment. There's 2 hours of range for you without removing the passenger seat.

https://www.smoke-system-helper.com/tanks-only
Old 08-08-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Here you go - 7.5 gallon tanks that can fit behind either seat in the 7/9 and extend about 3" into the baggage compartment. There's 2 hours of range for you without removing the passenger seat.

This is a good start and might work....was hoping to do a minimum of 10 gallons and not add to aft CG
Old 08-08-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
This is a good start and might work....was hoping to do a minimum of 10 gallons and not add to aft CG
Put one behind each seat, that's 15 gallons. I have a pair of them myself, the construction is excellent.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post

I put one of those behind the copilot seat. It's worth 7.3 gallons, full to the neck. I tell my totalizer that it is 7 gallons. I have a fuel pump with built in check valve under the floorboard of the baggage which pumps into the left main. I start pumping once I've used 3 or more gallons on the left. Since bladder range is usually my limiting factor, I mostly use it for loading up where the gas is cheap and fill the mains only where it's not such a bargain.

With any kind of tailwind and LOP, 38 gallons is way plenty fuel. ROP into a headwind, more capacity is more better. I probably wouldn't have bothered to install it if I'd had the 42 gallons that newer models have. I just didn't want to be the guy that made everybody stop early.

Ed Holyoke
RV-6