VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-27-2019, 06:15 PM

Finished up my echoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT install on my RV-8. I am not a fan of long expensive coax runs so I installed both the echoUAT transceiver and the antenna on the left inboard wing inspection panel. The ADSB antenna is 5+ feet from the transponder antenna and 3+ feet from my comm antenna. There are no obstructions between the ADSB and transponder antenna.

The SkyFYX GPS receiver was installed on the rear turtledeck. I used 20 gauge shielded twisted pair for the entire install. I purchased the SMA right angle male to BNC righ angle male pigtail on ebay for less than $10.

I'm running a Garmin 327 GTX and a Dynon D100 EFIS. Nothing hardwired to the Garmin or Dynon. I had to tweak the transponder threshold parameters via the app to get it reporting at 100%. I get a strong WiFi signal in the cockpit and the ADSB-in works effortlessly with my panel mounted IFly 740. Overall a great value and easy install.

TMX0360, Pmags, CS
Bridgewater, MA
KPYM
Old 03-27-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drill_and_buck View Post
Finished up my echoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT install on my RV-8. I am not a fan of long expensive coax runs so I installed both the echoUAT transceiver and the antenna on the left inboard wing inspection panel. The ADSB antenna is 5+ feet from the transponder antenna and 3+ feet from my comm antenna. There are no obstructions between the ADSB and transponder antenna.

The SkyFYX GPS receiver was installed on the rear turtledeck. I used 20 gauge shielded twisted pair for the entire install. I purchased the SMA right angle male to BNC righ angle male pigtail on ebay for less than $10.

I'm running a Garmin 327 GTX and a Dynon D100 EFIS. Nothing hardwired to the Garmin or Dynon. I had to tweak the transponder threshold parameters via the app to get it reporting at 100%. I get a strong WiFi signal in the cockpit and the ADSB-in works effortlessly with my panel mounted IFly 740. Overall a great value and easy install.

Thatís what I love, simplicity!! I have a 327 and a D-180 and I plan to use the same Echo and SkyFx combo to my IPad.
RV-8 N52VM : Dynon D-180, GTX327, SL40, Garmin 496 GPS, AP74 Autopilot, Titan 0-360A1A2N, Nickel Coated Cylinders, 2 Slick mags (both impulse coupled), engine preheater, Hartzell Plane-Power alternator, Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP constant speed, blended airfoil

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

What threshold numbers are you using? I set it at 1340 and get a 2% failure rate on Baro. Are you going even lower?

Echo UAT with GTX 327.

Thanks.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Checkpoints" monthly column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 04-19-2019, 09:11 AM

Default Threshold numbers

Vic,
Kurt at Uavionix said don't go below 1100 so you have some room to go.
RV12 - Flying - Sold
Old 04-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Default Garmin 327

I see a couple of owners are "sniffing" rather than RS232 from their Garmin transponders. I might suggest, when possible... use the serial line.
That way the UAT always has altitude data, even if the transponder is not replying. Flying away from radar and TCAS can leave the transponder quiet some of the time.
uAvionix will supply a MUX serial adapter for those with Garmins that split the data into two serial connections. Other models of trasnponder use a single serial line which is more common.
BTW, my digital encoder in the Sandia 165 transponder is almost instant. And it never drifts, as may happen with older encoders. At any rate, it is worth upgrading to a newer style encoder for some Van's builders. The cost will probably be recovered when doing two year checks, and you avoid the symptoms of drifting encoder data and adjustments needed at the avionics shop. Cheers.

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes and Helicopter Instructor law enforcement tactical radio systems. Blessed to fly my RV9A to work every week.