VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-12-2019, 06:40 PM

Default Fuel Pressure?

Last night, I ran the plane as part of the final Condition Inspection Opps check.

The fuel pressure was spot on, it functioned as expected, with the electric pump on and off.

This evening I had a chance to fly the plane and for the first three quarters of the flight the fuel pressure was exactly what I would expect.

Then it started climing and triggered the high fuel pressure alarm.

I'm carburated and the SkyView went crazy with 27 PSI of fuel pressure. Turning on or off the electric pump didn't seem to make much difference.

I landed, shut the engine down and noticed the fuel pressure was reading 17 PSI with everything turned off.

HummmmÖ

Tomorrow I'm going to replace the ground wire for the sensor. I have an older sensor that I can put back on, if a new ground lug doesn't fix the problem.

So, I sent from low fuel pressure to high fuel pressure. Go figure!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 04-12-2019, 07:34 PM

Default 320 is the one

Bill is a maverick. Donít put a 360 on the -9. The 320 does just fine and with a constant speed prop, itís a sweet combination. Besides the -360 is too much power for that airframe. Also, If you do decide to forge ahead with a 360, then it could cause blindness. Just fair warning.

I guess I would be remis if I didnít share that my 180+hp with CS prop -9 is a takeoff thrill similar to my old RV-3. Off the ground in several seconds, Pattern altitude halfway down the runway, itís a rush every time. As far as cruise speed, im a 180mph TAS everywhere kind of guy.

Good luck on your build. Itís the best kept secret of all the Vans designs.

Ok Bill, back to your condition inspection......

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyabq View Post
I love the engine. I just know Van's position on the 360 on the 9, and I am wanting to put one on when I finally get the Fuselage done. I am trying to decide on that and the 320.

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 IO-360 CS, Efficiency and Fun
1965 Comanche 260 - Restored and for sale
Aerostar 600A - My Twin Toy
Old 04-12-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbat View Post
Bill is a maverick.
Ö
Also, If you do decide to forge ahead with a 360, then it could cause blindness. Just fair warning.
Ö
I thought it was something I did during puberty that caused the blindness Craig!

I just had a conversation with someone else on this board about starting to collect parts for a CS prop for the HurlMaker II.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 04-13-2019, 08:19 AM

Bill,

Are you using the standard Vans fuel pressure transducer? Just wondering as I recall that a number of folks (myself included) have had these go to high P, presumably because of a ground issue. I'm now seeing this (high P) very intermittently on my second sender and thinking about replacement options.

Maybe something about the o360 in a 9? ;>)

Greg
Old 04-13-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Arehart View Post
Bill,

Are you using the standard Vans fuel pressure transducer? Just wondering as I recall that a number of folks (myself included) have had these go to high P, presumably because of a ground issue. I'm now seeing this (high P) very intermittently on my second sender and thinking about replacement options.

Greg
Greg,

Yes, I have the Van's sensor. I'll play with the ground wire and see if that fixes it.

But, you are correct, it could be the course of the big engine in a -9!
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 04-13-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Arehart View Post
Bill,

Greg
If you are using the VDO sender they fail by the resistance wire wearing out at the usual place the wiper (run by pressure) sits when the engine is running. So your fuel pressure may read normally when the wiper bridges the spot on the wire, and suddenly peg high - or to zero - when the pressure changes a bit.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:09 PM

Just landed after an hour's test flight, fuel pressure issue seems to be resolved.

I ohm'ed out the ground wire and it was faulty. I replaced the connectors on both ends and all is good.

Sometimes it is the simple things!
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 04-16-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubbat View Post
Bill is a maverick. Donít put a 360 on the -9. The 320 does just fine and with a constant speed prop, itís a sweet combination. Besides the -360 is too much power for that airframe. Also, If you do decide to forge ahead with a 360, then it could cause blindness. Just fair warning.

I guess I would be remis if I didnít share that my 180+hp with CS prop -9 is a takeoff thrill similar to my old RV-3. Off the ground in several seconds, Pattern altitude halfway down the runway, itís a rush every time. As far as cruise speed, im a 180mph TAS everywhere kind of guy.

Good luck on your build. Itís the best kept secret of all the Vans designs.

Like he said, put the IO360 and CS prop on the plane, and you'll never question it. There's nothing like passing the Bonanza that took off in front of you during the climbout.