- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2018, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Default Try this one

I've been using the ALFI from Aircraft SPruce for a number of years now. It's a little pricey, but with the random flashing pattern it is really amazing. I had a tower chief come and tell me that whatever I paid for the lights it was worth it, as they see me before anyone else, including the big jets.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=52910

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Checkpoints" monthly column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
www.Baselegaviation.com

Last edited by vic syracuse : 05-04-2018 at 05:38 AM. Reason: added link
Old 05-04-2018, 06:29 PM

Default prelim report:

The Perihelion module works fine to wig-wag a pair of landing lights - each made from a trio of "3 x Cree XM-L2 U3 Neutral White 4500K 3800 Lumens 8.4V 1-Mode LED Drop in for TrustFire 3T6 Flashlight (Dia 51mm)" flashlight heads, fed 10.3V via a DC-DC bucking voltage converter.

It's impressive.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 02-19-2019, 04:30 PM

I recently had the challenge of retrofitting lights in a RV-4 without hurting the paint. Here's what I came up with. Used one Duckworks lens cut in half for both wings. Brackets allow adjustment as the light bracket has 3/8" holes secured by flat clamping plates. I put them as far forward as practical to reduce aperture effect. Total cost ~$50 using kaidomain LEDs.

N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.

Last edited by rocketbob : 02-19-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post
I recently had the challenge of retrofitting lights in a RV-4 without hurting the paint. Here's what I came up with. Used one Duckworks lens cut in half for both wings. Brackets allow adjustment as the light bracket has 3/8" holes secured by flat clamping plates. I put them as far forward as practical to reduce aperture effect. Total cost ~$50 using kaidomain LEDs.

Well done! Looks very nice.

Vic

Built RV-4, RV-6, 2-RV-10's, RV-7A, RV-8, Prescott Pusher, Kitfox Model II, Kitfox Speedster, Kitfox 7 Super Sport, Just Superstol, DAR, A&P/IA, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor, CFII-ASMEL/ASES
Kitplanes "Checkpoints" monthly column
EAA Homebuilt Council Chair/member EAA BOD
www.Baselegaviation.com
Old 02-20-2019, 05:32 AM

Default I was just thinking about this thread

since, looking for something to do to keep me moving forward while I wait for engine pieces to return from the overhaul facility, I cycled back around to some unfinished business on the leading edge...

I decided the little buck supply was a little under-muscled for the current demand of six flashlight heads all on at one time, so I decide to order a second unit, install each supply in the wing bay mounted to the aft side of the landing light bracket, and wig-wag them from a Perihelion module located in the cabin. You can see the three-head light on top of the wing, awaiting installation once I get the proper 10-32 screws.

I'm impatient to see the wig-wag in action somewhere besides on the test bench!

Old 02-20-2019, 06:29 AM

I’m running 4x the Amazon par 36 leds and attempted using a flasher from CRAZEDpilot.com. However, it didn’t have what it takes to control these lights. CRAZEDpilot says they aren’t fast switching led drivers causing th issue, but to me it looks like it just doesn’t have the power that they claim.

I’m interested in the perihelion but wish it was just a 3 way switch to not have to put in another hole, or that it was a 3 way switch to give wig wag/off/constant. O well, gotta give up something. I’ll get one of these ordered.

Side note, does backfeeding the switch hurt anything? If I turn on the landing lights without turning off wig wags will it kill the circuitry?
Aero Engineer, A&P

Last edited by Timberwolf : 02-20-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:34 AM

For my dual BajaDesign S2 Pro installation I wired in an inexpensive Bussmmann 232 electronic flasher which is rated at 20A and works great. Instead of two switches you can use a single 3 way switch and get the same results. Backfeeding has not been a problem.

With this configuration, if both modes are selected the constant ON "landing mode" has priority and over-rides the flashing "recognition mode". This would not be an issue if you use a 3 way switch. Here is a link to a YouTube video of the lights installed on my non RV in both the landing and recognition modes using the above circuit. Just another way to "skin a cat".

2019 Dues Paid
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 02-20-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:59 AM

Has anybody used the Baja Designs Squadron Sport lights yet?

Price is $129.95 and puts out 3150 Lumens. https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...t-led-spot.asp

Considering these or the Squadron Pro more light and doable the price

Also looking at the FlyLED wing leading edge kit. Middle of the road price compared to the Baja Designs. 4900 Lumens.
https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Comb...ht/p/109859298

Like the idea of one aimed down which suits a taidragger very well. Not sure if these work with Perhillion wig wag switch which I’m already running.

Last edited by Ted RV8 : 02-20-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:20 PM

One question I was able to answer for myself is that the Perihelion module does not require ballast resistors to function with LED lights as some others do. At least the Kaidomain Cree flashlight heads I used integrate with the wig-wag without any bootstrap parts added.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:14 PM

Default Perihelion wig wag

Has anyone installed the Perihelion wig wag and wired it like in drawing C on the Perihelion website?

http://www.periheliondesign.com/wigwagmnl.htm

The diodes suggested are circuit board diodes that need to be soldered - does anyone know if there is a similar diode available with screw terminals or spade terminals? Would this diode need to be mounted with a heat sink and thermal pad?