Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-13-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane@uAvionix View Post
Yes, the GTX330 will pass the Squawk and Pressure Altitude to the EchoUAT over the serial wire. We've set many customers up successfully with this.

For others concerned with low % fails on reports:
Keep in mind that the ADS-B spec supports a device sending GPS altitude if Pressure Alt is not available for a period of time. There seems to be a lot of concern about low % of fails outside of Rule Airspace... defined as below.

Please understand that the required performance marks on these reports are specifically noted for these airspaces due and are not reasonable for tests outside the "Rule Airspace", or at least within very close proximity to it. Here is a basic analogy... Its like paying for 10mb internet service in your home using a WiFi router, then walking 200+ feet away from your house and expecting the full 10mb service speed... it simply won't happen. You've increased the distance outside the intended zone and put many variables, buildings (Terrain and Altitude) into the mix.

Under the rule, ADS-B Out performance is only required to operate to the performance report levels in:

1. Class A, B, and C airspace.
2. Class E airspace within the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia at and above 10,000 feet MSL, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface.
3. Class E airspace at and above 3,000 feet MSL over the Gulf of Mexico from the coastline of the United States out to 12 nautical miles.
4. Around those airports identified in 14 CFR part 91, Appendix D.

If you look at your performance reports on the beginning page, you'll see Duration, Mod and Rule. The time in the Rule field is your amount of time in Rule Airspace. This should technically be a majority of your flight to ensure performance marks are hit.

I hope this clears up a little confusion.
Shane,

Could you also comment on the traffic issues that are being seen. I was IFR at 6000' when traffic within 2 miles and within 900' Alt, suddenly disappeared, and only re-appeared after it had gone past me.

Others have commented on this site that the GDL90 output stream needs to be prioritized and filtered prior to being outputted from the UAT.

Does your UAT do any filtering? Is there any way in the setup to limit the number of targets, especially those that are outside the 15 mile active area?
RV-6A N926RV 875 Hrs (Sold)
RV-6A N925RV 2008 Hrs (Sold)
Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred.Stucklen View Post
I too am seeing erratic traffic with the EchoUAT system. It doesn't perform like the Navworx 600EXP unit. Yes I see traffic, but sometimes traffic within a mile doesn't appear, or suddenly disappears.
Please know that we are looking into these reports of above noted traffic behavior with great seriousness. There could be a number of factors at play here based on Location, Antennas, GPS, EFIS and EFBs... We are working with a few pilots that have reported this and we are performing numerous tests and test flights this weekend to isolate the problem for a fix.

Anyone with a video of this behavior is welcome to send it to me at shane@uavionix.com and we can use these to help determine a pattern. Please know that we are taking this very serious and will have an update very soon.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:36 AM

Default Phase II

Dallas Avionics has provided a large number of former Navworx owners the Echo solution from uAvionix. I have fielded about 125 phone calls for tech support since this began. I feel we are moving into phase two where pilots/builders are doing the setup and configuration for a number of connected EFIS systems. They range from GRT to AFS and others including portable pads via WIFI. It might be valuable to start a thread to share settings. I am putting this out to the Vans community to see if they agree. Input is welcome. As a side note, I pulled the EXP box from my RV yesterday. Last Thursday I had to fly to Las Vegas to program a park service tactical radio. It had me wondering just what was contained in the data stream from a given UAT. My uAvionix Echo unit is going in today and I will do a compliance flight test after. I suspect that the ICAO code entered in any UAT is just about all that is broadcast. (in terms of identity) When I was chief pilot for Capstone Phase II, certain operators did not trust the FAA and changed settings to avoid broadcasting their true altitude. Enforcement history has shown this was not necessary. But, I digress. The Vans community has proven to be a valuable resource to builders and even those with other types of planes. Kudos to Doug and don't forget those 2018 donations for support!

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes and Helicopter Instructor law enforcement tactical radio systems. Blessed to fly my RV9A to work every week.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:12 PM

I just got back from my first flight using the echouat/skyfx combination in place of the Navworks 600B box.

My experience matches what previous poster have seen:
  • Targets disappearing and reappearing
  • Targets appearing many miles away/at much higher altitude
  • Targets appearing twice on top of themselves

Better filtering/prioritization of targets would definitely help these problems.
I was flying in an area where there was only one ADSB tower and I would lose contact with it in turns, etc., which corresponded to targets disappearing. Other targets, presumably 1090ES ones, remained throughout.

The ghosting/shadowing of targets only seemed to show up when there was an ADSB tower that was available, so presumably this could be because the target was being seen on both UAT and 1090ES.

I got NEXRAD wx through the flight similarly to how the Navworx box used to.

So in summary, a bit more filtering of targets would make the performance of this solution more than satisfactory.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:54 PM

Default Time will tell

Interesting to read about target behavior. We were promised dual band receive on the Navworx, and so most of us are used to single frequency input. That and data link to ground station propagation (line of sight and relatively high frequency @978mhz) will have some effect. I will be curious to see how things play out since uAvionix is looking closely at these reports as well. My compliance flight with the Echo set a personal record for me yesterday. Total time airborne (or above stall speed minus 10) was 16 minutes. I got an error free compliance report back in less than five minutes after putting my email and N number in the form. And I live a hundred miles from the nearest class B. Full disclosure: we do have a ground station on the field. And I got a discreet squawk in the pattern by request. But it sure was fast and easy. I spent way more time removing the Navworx box than putting in the Echo. Small and light are the key words here. Happy RV owner today.

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes and Helicopter Instructor law enforcement tactical radio systems. Blessed to fly my RV9A to work every week.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:05 PM

I made the swap yesterday and performed two flights.

I too saw disappearing and reappearing targets, ghosting of targets, and I had 2, 100% failures on my reports.

I had the same 2 performance failures on each of my flights: “Baro Alt” and “Mode 3A”.

I am using a GTX-327 and FlyQ on an iPad Mini for my ADS-B. I’m also seeing the red ADS-B battery low indicator flash on my FlyQ. This is a minor issue but still, not right.

I will notify uAvionix of all this.

It seems like we are all experiencing the same sort of issues which is actually a good thing for troubleshooting. I know that uAvionix is working hard on this and I’m hopeful for a solution very soon.

Installation was pretty easy and I can’t believe how small the boxes are.

Pink slip issued: 5/7/12

First flight: 5/28/12, Memorial Day.

Phase I Complete: 8/18/12!

2019 donation: complete
Old 01-14-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArVeeNiner View Post
I had 2, 100% failures on my reports.

I had the same 2 performance failures on each of my flights: “Baro Alt” and “Mode 3A”.

I am using a GTX-327 and FlyQ on an iPad Mini for my ADS-B. I’m also seeing the red ADS-B battery low indicator flash on my FlyQ. This is a minor issue but still, not right.
Sounds like you have the original wiring harness that was wired incorrectly. I had the same failures initially. You need to request they send a corrected wiring harness or swap one of the wires yourself. This is what they advised me:
If you are using our provided plug and play harness it may have shipped with an incorrect pinout for the 327. If you’d like to resolve it yourself pin 3 on the DB9 needs moved to pin 1 which requires some soldering.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:56 PM

Default "Fails to generate a report"

I have made 3 flights with my new install and FAA reports "failed to generate a report". I used the monitor function on my phone and saw the pressure altitude and code. I also received traffic on my AFS, but it blinked in and out, and I get ghosting, which I see on my iFly740.

Tomorrow I will install another unit, borrowed from a hangar neighbor, that did generate a clean report, from the FAA (but still had the traffic issue).

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 01-14-2018, 05:11 PM

Default MGL

Anyone flying with an MGL Voyager, Odyssey, or IEFiS? I am getting traffic on my IPAD but am not seeing anything on the EFIS. I have my Garmin 430W for position source and only need one wire going to the Efis according to the diagram. Also have not been able to generate a FAA report, but have not flown inside a Class B or C airspace.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:27 PM

After my flight today I asked for and got a FAA report.
No failures for a 30 min flight just outside the Denver Class B.