What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel leak

Flyer68

Well Known Member
I found a fuel leak in my fuel valve. The bottom 45* el (AN 823-6D) will not seat in the fuel valve. It bottoms out a quarter of a turn short of seating in line with the fuel line. In order to line up with the fuel line, the el has to be turned back, counter clock wise until it lines up with the fuel line. This leaves the el finger loose. The instructions say use a thread sealant to prevent fuel leaks. Doesn't work. What have other builders done to prevent this ????

Flyer,
If it is truly bottoming out (hard stop) you may need to obtain another fitting in hopes that it is threaded enough differently to allow proper alignment. You mentioned sealant doesn't work? What are you using? Lactate 567 seems to be working well for most of us. I had used "Fuel Lube" and Permatex #2 earlier and had to disassemble, clean, and reassemble all my fuel and brake fittings to stop leaks. Good Luck!

I found a fuel leak in my fuel valve. The bottom 45* el (AN 823-6D) will not seat in the fuel valve. It bottoms out a quarter of a turn short of seating in line with the fuel line. In order to line up with the fuel line, the el has to be turned back, counter clock wise until it lines up with the fuel line. This leaves the el finger loose. The instructions say use a thread sealant to prevent fuel leaks. Doesn't work. What have other builders done to prevent this ????

If trying another fitting doesn't work the fuel valve portion may not be threaded deep enough. I've fixed this problem by cutting or grinding a small piece off the threads of the male (AN 823-6D) fitting. Doesn't take much and make sure the cut is perpendicular to the axis and that all burrs, etc., are removed before using. There will still be plenty of threads left to seal.

Of course, YMMV.

Had same problem, just muscle it down

Had same problem, had to pull it out and it took two of us to muscle it down using a vise.

Last edited:
I thought pipe threads were tapered and the sealing compound is what seals the connection, not "bottoming out" the threads

Back