VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-11-2016, 06:37 AM

If your problem isn't related to non-resistor wires/plugs - those will definitely generate a lot of noise - try cleaning and then coating the insides of the sparkplug boots with a light film of dialectric grease.

When I first flew the Rocket I hadn't done this and the ignition noise slowly built up over a period of time, ~20 hours maybe, until it was so loud it was making it impossible to hear anything but stations that were very close. The noise went completely away once I cleaned and greased the plug caps, and hasn't come back since.

Last edited by molson309 : 02-11-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:08 AM

Plugs are cheap, they'll get replaced. The high voltage wires are well outside their 5-year lifetime, I'll replace them also, that's easy enough. I sent an email to Klaus late last night and he already responded that I should ONLY use the MSD 8mm wire because it's 50 ohms per foot, and has its own internal RFI shielding.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:57 AM

If you're using plugs with the threaded terminal on top, make sure the terminals are tight in the short term. Switch to solid terminals in the long term.
Two Kids: Built, Enjoying
RV-10, Bought, Rebuilt, Enjoying
Build / First Flight Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f9HXzZT1dE
Build Log: http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

Arguing on the internet is like having a competition to see who can hit a brick wall the hardest. You may win, but you're still an idiot.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:01 PM

I had radio squelch breaking on mine - the problem was a little corrosion on the metal parts inside the boots which clip on the spark plugs. I removed the corrosion with a piece of Scotchbrite, and sprayed a little Tri-Flow in them prior to re-assembly. Problem fixed. I now put Tri-Flow in them each time they come off. My wires are about 8 years old, about 800 hours. Dual Plasma III's.

Interesting side note: the corrosion was just such that turbulence would create the squelch breaking. I could pull 2 g's, break squelch, relax, ok. Must have been a subtle movement of the boot.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:42 PM

airguy, curious, did replacing the ignition wires fix your problem?

I have dual plasma iii, and LSE1 creates a lot of interference (it's gone when I switch LSE1 off). I have reseated all the cables, the plugs are new (50 hours or so) so I am at a loss where else to look for the interference.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotoiti View Post

I have dual plasma iii, and LSE1 creates a lot of interference (it's gone when I switch LSE1 off). I have reseated all the cables, the plugs are new (50 hours or so) so I am at a loss where else to look for the interference.
Check the fast-on connectors on the coils.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:49 PM

I removed and re-seated the connectors on the coils. No change.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Is this a new problem or has it always been there? If new, replace the coax going to the coils. If still there, swap the coils between the two Lightspeed ignitions and try again. If the problem moves you found the bad coil.

I assume you already tried replacing plug leads.

Carl
Old 05-24-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPeterson View Post
I had radio squelch breaking on mine - the problem was a little corrosion on the metal parts inside the boots which clip on the spark plugs. I removed the corrosion with a piece of Scotchbrite, and sprayed a little Tri-Flow in them prior to re-assembly. Problem fixed. I now put Tri-Flow in them each time they come off. My wires are about 8 years old, about 800 hours. Dual Plasma III's.

Interesting side note: the corrosion was just such that turbulence would create the squelch breaking. I could pull 2 g's, break squelch, relax, ok. Must have been a subtle movement of the boot.
Just out of curiosity, wouldn't the Tri-flow act as a insulator a bit? Or do you put it on the boot portion only?
Dues paid
Old 05-24-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Actually yes - I made a new set of wires with MSD material and the problem disappeared immediately. I must have had a case of old or damaged wires somewhere on the engine.