What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Flap Actuator for the RV-10!

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
Great news!

We will no longer have to deal with an external flap position sensor on the RV-10!

I just finished installing one of the prototype flap actuators from PHAviation.com. These actuators have a BUILT IN potentiometer for position information, so say goodbye to the external sensor mounts and linkages.

Here is a side by side comparison of the actuators:

IMG_1251_zps7tvsl46j.jpg

The construction and finish of the new actuator is awesome!

It took me about a day to retrofit my RV-10 which is about 90% complete. The install process involved fabricating a mount that bolts to the original actuator mount. As the new actuator is longer, the new mount extends the pivot point 1 1/2 inches farther forward. The mount was fabricated from 1/16 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 and 1/16 x 1 x 1 angle, and was a fairly simple task.

IMG_1270_zpsm9kkrqsl.jpg

Installation during initial construction would be a breeze!

IMG_1265_zpsvr0aupcc.jpg

I made a couple of 5/16 ID x 5/8 OD spacers that were 1/2" long for the actuator pivot. I opted to add a washer on each side to increase the clearance on the actuator housing, though this was probably not necessary.

IMG_1256_zpsnjgxatrh.jpg

Once the actuator was centered in the tunnel and the pivot point was located 1 1/2" forward of the original, the mounting flanges were match drilled to the support angles. All parts were then removed, demurred, and finished. Nut plates were installed and the actuator was installed.

IMG_1275_zpsvozeai0m.jpg

I needed to extend the rod end bearing about 1/4" to provide clearance on the flap bell crank. I tested the operation and range of motion and it was perfect!

The actuator is quiet and VERY smooth in operation. It has three additional sensor wires (just like the external position sensor) that will connect to an indicator.

I am very impressed with this unit and the customer service received from Pat. This is a definite upgrade over the stock unit and simplifies the overall system.

Highly recommended!

Now all that is left to do is remove the external sensor!:D

For those that are interested in this upgrade, I would be happy to discuss it further!

Bob,

This looks very interesting. Could you share the weight and cost? Also, how does the actuation speed compare?

Thanks!

Details

It appears that the speed is about the same, and the weight is likely about 1 lb more...it definitely a more robust actuator.

As for the cost and availability, give Pat a call at PHAviation.com. He will be able to address those questions. If you have other questions on installation, I would be happy to help!

PHA RV-10/-14 Flap Actuator

Bob,

This looks very interesting. Could you share the weight and cost? Also, how does the actuation speed compare?

Thanks!

Thanks to Bob for posting his comments on our new RV-10/-14 flap actuator! We are in the process of testing our first two production units and we'll be offering these for sale soon at $349 which includes the installed rod end bearing. The unit weighs 2 pounds 15 ounces, which is a little over a pound more than the stock flap motor. Time of full extension/retraction is about 12.5 seconds which compares closely to about 13 seconds for the stock unit.

Here are a couple of videos showing the new actuator in operation. This airplane is a client's RV-10 that is under construction here locally. It has a Garmin G3X Touch panel that is in the process of being installed, so as you would expect, things look a bit unfinished!

https://youtu.be/aur2-ov3hsc

https://youtu.be/eSK5Pesp0Gw

Thanks for watching! We'll post updates when we have something to report.

Will this system integrate into the Dynon or Advanced display and the Vertical Power Pro?

Yes, the only thing that would change is the switch. Flap control systems like the VP-X Pro and the Garmin GAD 27 will require a spring-loaded switch in both directions ((ON)-OFF-(ON)) for input into the systems. A single-pole switch like the 1-7 is all that is needed for these systems. If you have the little flap lever going on the switch, you'll need a non-rotating bat type switch like the Honeywell 1TL series. We use the Honeywell 1TL1-5, which is a single pole, spring loaded in one direction switch. For the VP-X or GAD 27, use the 1TL1-7.

Last edited:
I just did my BFR and did the guy did a "water buffalo" on the runway at 5'. It reminded me of how much forward stick it takes when going to full throttle with full flaps. I have two speed trim, but the fast trim and flap speed are no help in that situation. It takes a long time to get back to a resonable stick.

I would like to see a two speed flap actuator, fast retraction and about the same as now extension. It would not help with the immediate response, but would reduce the amount of time to get the stick force back to reasonable so the trim could catch up. The built in pot is great.

My only issue I have with this amazing aircraft is the trim requirements when flying.

Pat,
In leu of the switches you listed, is it possible to use the switch on the infinity stick grip for the flap switch?

Yes, absolutely. You?ll have to use reversing relays in this case as these are single pole switches. Actually, in my opinion it?s always better to use relays anyway?extends the life of your switches because you?re not carrying the flap load through your switch.

I would like to see a two speed flap actuator, fast retraction and about the same as now extension.

I've heard several people complain that the RV-14 flap actuator seems to slow. I never timed how long it took on my -8 but it seemed like around 8 seconds give or take. I'd be much more interested in an aftermarket actuator for my 14 if it was faster than the stock unit from Vans. I've wondered if the stock unit (or Pat's aftermarket unit) could handle higher voltage, say 16-18 vdc, without burning it up. If so I could rig up a circuit to increase voltage and presumably make it run faster...

Mark,
The RV-8 actuators run about 6 seconds no load for the 5" stroke (at 12 volts). RV-10/14 about 12-13 seconds, same stroke. The difference is the motor gearing and max load. The RV-10/14 flaps are obviously a significantly higher aerodynamic load thus the motors have to be geared differently.

In theory, DC motors' speed is a function of input voltage and it is a linear relationship. In theory. I need to do a little more research to see what effect we'll have at the voltage range you're asking about. These actuators are rated at up to 48 volts DC input voltage, so you should be good with stepping up to 16-18 volts. When I get additional information I'll post it.

Flap actuator

Mark,

Try this place. They are 50% less in price and are the same as the other guy here sales. I have a friend who uses this same built unit in his 9. You can use a 4 inch throw with .5 inch per sec, That will make it a count of 8 for full throw. They have built in limit switches an a position pot for EFIS position display.

https://www.pololu.com/category/127/linear-actuators

Pick the one you need, add the mount and drill and tap the end for a rod end, and you are ready to go.

Good luck.

Brian

Last edited:
but...

I have purchased linear actuators from pololu several times and they are great.

I also have the rv-10 version actuator from PHAviation. I can tell you that the PHAviation actuator is a very high quality unit.

I have found that most of the cheaper actuators are definitely lighter duty. Their back drive force is also typically lower, as well.

Do your homework, the loads imposed on the actuator in the rv-10 can be substantial.

Nothing but good things to say about Pat over at PH Aviation...

I am sorry to bring back an old thread.

I just wonder if the question of faster extension or retraction is possible with the actuator? I have the oem on my RV10 and would love to have faster actuation for emergency procedure eg engine out near airfield?

I am sorry to bring back an old thread.

I just wonder if the question of faster extension or retraction is possible with the actuator? I have the oem on my RV10 and would love to have faster actuation for emergency procedure eg engine out near airfield?

As they say, everything in aviation is a compromise. So for a given motor size, i.e., weight and physical size, you can have either speed or force. Given the size of the RV-10 flaps and the aerodynamic force required, it's a tradeoff on how fast you can move the flaps. You can gear the motor for faster but you lose force. Yes, you can make a bigger motor and go faster but you have to find a reasonable compromise here. I think we're there.

Back