What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How much 2 AWG wire is needed

MElstien

Well Known Member
Hello, in a well equipment RV-10 for IFR flight, how many feet of 2 AWG power cable is needed? I only see one run from the battery to the starter.

I am away from my project and would appreciate feedback of those that have already wired the system.

Thank You.

Depends...

It depends on if you are in the camp of a separate ground or an airframe ground.

I think I used about 12 feet from the battery to the firewall and about 3 1/2 feet from the firewall to the starter.

Of course it also depends on how you route it, too.

If you run a separate ground, you will need another 12 feet or so...

I think I used about 12 feet from the battery to the firewall and about 3 1/2 feet from the firewall to the starter.

This sounds about right for me too. I think i bought mine at 15 feet just in case (you can always cut some off). I ran from the stock battery location to the firewall and have enough left over that i?ll Be able to run from the other side of the pass through over to my Vertical Power PPS

I bought "2 Gauge Premium Extra Flexible Welding Cable 600 VOLT - RED 20 FEET" from Amazon. Also bought 20 feet in black since I did an entire loop.

Flexible Welding cable vs M22759/16-2 wire

I like the flexibility provided by the welding wire but I am concerned some of the flexibility may be at the expense of the ruggedness of the insulation.

This cable will be carrying some large currents and will almost always bee "hot" when the master is on. It will be and going through several bulkheads. I am concerned with a softer jacket/insulation posing more of an abrasion /shoring risk.

I guess I can always add shrink wrap where the wire passes a bulkhead or other areas of wear.

Is the welding wire insulation soft are equal to or better than the M22759/16 insulation?

Personally I?ve used conduits and snap bushings or rubber grommets on all pass through. No clue how it compares to the milspec stuff.

I like the flexibility provided by the welding wire but I am concerned some of the flexibility may be at the expense of the ruggedness of the insulation.

I?m no cable expert, so please let those folks chime in.... but I think the flexibility comes from using finer wire strands inside the cable, not from a softer insulation. On a side note, finer wire strands are better for moving DC current, but it?s not going to make too much of a difference for what we use it for.

I am not a fan of non-plated copper wire, it generally will corrode in the aircraft environment.

Welding wire vs M22759/16-2

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I have always planned to use grommets and caterpillar grommet in the pass through areas. I have used very flexible cable before on other non-aviation projects and I have found the insulation to be very soft and subject to damage very easily.

Based on the specs of the welding wire suggested vs. the M22759/16-2 wire: They both are rated at 600 Volts.
They both use 630-665 30 AWG strands
The major difference is:
Mill spec cable Diameter Max is .392 and the welding wire is nominal diameter is .429
Mil-Spec cable is tin plated the welding wire is bare copper
Mil-spec cable has ETFE insulation which is durable to all kinds of fluids and to abrasion. I do not know the insulation of the welding cable.

Based on the feedback and the facts above, I will be buying the M22759/16-2 cable. Your mileage may vary.

There is currently for sale on eBay the M22759/16-2 wire for sale in various colors (Green-White-Red-Blue-Black) for 2.50 per foot, no minimums and free shipping. I will be placing my order today.

As always, thank you for your input.

I found quality welding cable to be more durable than mil spec. Remember the insulation on this stuff is designed for dragging over metal work sites. I took a torch to a piece of welding cable as a test. The insulation charred but did not burn.

Carl

I ran a search and didn't find anything on it, so I figured I'd throw another thought into the mix. Has anyone used Marine Grade battery cable on their RVs?

I live in a coastal area and have seen first-hand what salt air can do to a plane over its lifetime, so I understand tinned wire has its place around here. I've also spent some time working on boats and have found marine wire to be quite flexible even in heavy gauges and rather easy to work with.

While it's a little more expensive than welding cable, its certainly cheaper and more flexible than Tefzel M22759. It also has the same or higher temp rating than some of the welding cable out there and is required to be flame, fuel, and fluid resistant, and self extinguishing. I don't think I'd ever wire an entire plane with it, but it seems like it could be a good option for battery cable if not staying strictly aviation grade for that application.

Just curious to see if it's been done. If it's of any interest, the wire I've used for boats came from www.bestboatwire.com (I'm not associated with them at all).

Back