What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Scenic Grand Canyon

acroflyrgirl

Well Known Member
Last month when we were flying back from the E coast, someone suggested flying up the Hudson in NY, mentioning there was an FAA tutorial online.
I Took the online course and found it quite helpful.

Is there something like it for flying the Grand Canyon?

Thanks all

Cathy

I didn't find anything when I did my research before flying the corridors, but get your hands on the Grand Canyon Sectional. It is very self explanitory.
I flew all five corridors, about 2 hours...
Do it in the am and the bumps are less and you get some awesome shadowing as the sun rises up.

Cathy if you find anything written about procedures please share here. I would like to do it in couple weeks. I've also heard that they have means of enforcement the rules on overflights.

Zuni Corridor was recommended

Cathy,
Someone flew the corridors a couple years ago and recommended the Zuni corridor, which is furthest to the East. It runs parallel to the Canyon as it turns NE toward Lake Powell. We overflew the canyon above 14,500 and then ran that corridor NE/SW and enjoyed it.
You can also fly over the non-National Park Lands above 8000' in the far western part of the Canyon. I've done lots of trips over Grand Canyon West airport and just east as it's only 20 minutes from Boulder City.
Make sure to listen to the common freq in each sector. It can be pretty busy around GCN and west toward Vegas. I think the corridors are pretty well deconflicted and have specific altitudes to fly each direction.

While you are at it...

Land on the south rim and camp for a few days, this is a great time of year there...IMHO

Grand Canyons GA primer

Last month when we were flying back from the E coast, someone suggested flying up the Hudson in NY, mentioning there was an FAA tutorial online.
I Took the online course and found it quite helpful.

Is there something like it for flying the Grand Canyon?

Thanks all

Cathy

Go to http://www.grandcanyonairspace.iat.gov/index1.html. It's a big file, so be sure you have a fast internet connection.

Flying over the Canyon is a special treat but I promise that hiking down into that slash in the earth is even more impressive. Do take the time to hike down to the river (or as far as your physical condition allows), if at all possible. It is an amazing place and far more impressive when viewed from the bottom.

I have posted this before, sorry if it is redundant. I recommend against KGCN, it is not GA friendly, very expensive avgas. Go instead to Valle, 30 miles south. Less expensive av gas, tie downs, and they have a rental car (reserve ahead) if you want to drive into the park.

Grand Canyon

One of my favorite tour flights-
Stay at 10.5K, heading 355 and fly S. to North just east of the Desert View Zone and West of Little Colorado river. Make the turn west around/avoiding imperial point to the North- head to Dragon Bravo and fly dragon to the Ranch. Then it's heading North West along/avoiding the Toweap Shinumo Zone. All at 10.5K and monitor the freq.s listed

Back