What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Prop Gov did you choose, why

The RV-8 in my avatar has the Hartzell 2-blade Blended Airfoil CS prop. We used the MT prop governor on it... mainly because that seems like the gov that everyone else was also using at the time and also was ordered thru Van's along with the prop and the rest of the firewall forward finishing kit. We've got an ECI Titan IO-360 engine with high compression (9.2:1) pistons and have had no surging issues with this combination of prop and governor either, but I think we got one of the -D or later serial number suffixes on the gov too.

PCU5000X. I got mine through the group buy here on VAF as well. It was getting great reviews from the field and the group buy price was very good. Flawless at 500 hours.

MT/Johostroj on 2 blade hartzell

I used it simply because it was dang near new and Bill Wightman let me steal it from him. :D

MT/Johostroj on 2 blade hartzell

I used it simply because it was dang near new and Bill Wightman let me steal it from him. :D

That type of governor was a good one. MT made some changes later on. Actually, a different supplier as I remember. Mine is somewhere around a 96 or 97' model. Could be a few years, newer....

Back