What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Right Side Console Planning

mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am hot and heavy into the wiring phase. I need to plan out the switches on my right console. I have the following switches to deal with(am I missing anything?) Contactor, alternator, ignition are on the panel. Trim, flaps, boost, starter are on the stick.

Panel dimmer
Instrument dimmer
Nav lights
Strobe lights
Landing Light
Taxi Light
Wig Wag
Dome Light
Pitot Heat

Questions:
How far back from the front bulkhead did everyone start? How far forward of the rear bulkhead?

Switch spacing: I think One inch on center works okay. Is that too close?
I was thinking to arrange them so that those I would use at night would be easiest to get to: landing, taxi, wigwag. Nav and strobe get started on the ground, so less of an issue for ease of location.

Do you find yourself hitting the switches inadvertantly during flight? Should I use switch guards?

It looks like orienting the switches to work left and right is more sensible that forward and aft. Since some of these will be on more than off, I was thinking on to outboard. Thoughts?

Anyone have any good pictures of their right side console?

Thanks,

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Wiring
San Ramon, CA

Questions:
How far back from the front bulkhead did everyone start? How far forward of the rear bulkhead?

Switch spacing: I think One inch on center works okay. Is that too close?
I was thinking to arrange them so that those I would use at night would be easiest to get to: landing, taxi, wigwag. Nav and strobe get started on the ground, so less of an issue for ease of location.

Do you find yourself hitting the switches inadvertantly during flight? Should I use switch guards?

It looks like orienting the switches to work left and right is more sensible that forward and aft. Since some of these will be on more than off, I was thinking on to outboard. Thoughts?

Spacing and measurements? Man, I'm worthless there, I didn't take notes on that and the plane is out at the hangar. One inch separation sounds familiar. Your layout plan sounds fine... and even if you mount your landing, taxi, wigwag switches in a spot where you think they're easily located, consider putting a post light shining down on the panel, it's pretty dark down there.

Regarding bumping the switches inflight and switch guards, it's not an issue. That panel is low and well out of the way, you won't bump it. Your mounting orientation of left/right toggles is a good call, with outboard being "up" or on.

PICTURES ON WEB SITE

Michael,

If it will help I have a few pictures on my web site a link is below. if you click on all and go back to oct. 08 there is pictures of how I did it. Don't
remember the measurements just trial and error. I used constrution paper to make templates.

Right Console

I spent a lot of time optimizing my right console for MY requirements - yours may vary.

1. Forward is on - it seems more natural than outboard/inboard.
2. I maximized number of switches - putting seldom used forward. Can't see them, but Helen Keller touch and feel works.
3. Lightspeed CB is most forward.
4. Fwd 3 are Roll Trim Cutout; Pitch Trim cutout; Autopilot Cutout. (all normally on).
5. Elec Boost is on console - in general I figured chance of inadvertant activation on console was less than on stick. I have Infinity sticks but did not hook up starter, boost or AP to stick.
6.. I used Aeroelectric's Z13/8 architecture - E Buss On and Aux Alt On are on console.
7. Pitot Heat On

Lightspeed, Trim and AP cutouts grouped. Boost is by itself; Endurance Bus switches grouped; Pitot by itself. Again - touch and feel will work.

I used "standard" switches - not miniatures. If space is limited, miniatures will work.

Bottom console is strobes (2), Nav Light, Taxi Light - and to rear - 12V power socket.

Cockpit lighting controls are grouped on left lower console.

Combine functions

I combined my landing/taxi and Nav/strobes per the aeroelectric method....that saved some console real estate. Something to consider?

I used dimmers at the top of the console for interior lights, then my ELT control panel. The 2 switches for exterior lights and pitot heat. I used a progressive switch for NAV/STROBE and LAND/TAXI. The rear of the console is kind of awkward to reach from a seating position. I chose this for my guarded E-Bus alternate feed switch.

This log entry has the picture of the console sorry I am on the road otherwise I would post the full picture.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_log.php?user=rvg8tor&project=403&category=4901&log=120578&row=7

Great Input

Thanks to all for your input.

The progressive switch is a good idea. Can't imagine when I would have the strobes without the nav lights. The other progressive is taxi first then taxi plus landing? I didn't see this in the aeroelectric book. I have been following it pretty religiously. Guess I will go re-read the lighting section.

I will go mock up a couple of arrangements and see how it feels in cockpit.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV8 Wiring
San Ramon, CA

LAND or TAXI

I may have confuses things with my post above, the NAV/STROBE is progressive but my LAND/TAXI is either/or. I use one switch but it will only allow one set of lights on at a time. I saw no reason to use up the power to have both on at the same time.

Cheers

Back