What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Superior back in business...

Is this a good thing? I mean, on one hand it's good for the consumer when there's more competition among manufacturers. But on the other hand, with all the problems they've caused people what are the chances those are all fixed and quality is really up to snuff?

Problems? I think you are thinking of some other company. They went under because their parent company raided them, not because of quality problems. Even while they were 'down', they continued to support their product (I got a new ring gear for nothing when my starter broke and chewed it). I, for one, am ecstatic that they are back. I only wish they did a 540 as well as the 360, but when I talked to them in 2007 they had no plans for one and the bankruptcy obviously put all development on hold.

I don't know the exact numbers, but based on number of posts etc. it never seemed that they had a significantly higher percentage of ADs, recalls, etc. than Lycosaurus.

Competition is a wonderful thing.

Superior has really never been out of business. I have gotten many piece parts over the last two years. What happened was their big ticket items (cylinders, cases, cranks,etc.) were produced by subcontractors that weren't being paid, and as a result, those subcontractors quit doing business with them (understandably so.) So they had to start from square one on those items with new subcontractors, and that takes time.

ECI and Superior are both great companies to deal with and I myself will continue to support both.

Problems? I think you are thinking of some other company. They went under because their parent company raided them, not because of quality problems. Even while they were 'down', they continued to support their product (I got a new ring gear for nothing when my starter broke and chewed it). I, for one, am ecstatic that they are back. I only wish they did a 540 as well as the 360, but when I talked to them in 2007 they had no plans for one and the bankruptcy obviously put all development on hold.

Good to hear. I must have been thinking something totally different. Bring on the competition!!

Bummer..... that the Chinese have bought another American A/C engine manufacturer.

Now we're losing our leadership in aviation......

Will there be anything that we manufacture in the U.S. anymore?

Hate to be such a downer...:(

Glenn Wilkinson

Well, since the German's bought them before, it's not like anyone here was knocking down their door with offers. Plenty of folks had opportunity. I can't help but think it's a good thing. I'd love to build a BIG bore 4 cylinder Lyc, but at this point I'd take -390 jugs and put them behind a -375 crankshaft... Over 400CID that way.

Bummer..... that the Chinese have bought another American A/C engine manufacturer.

Glenn Wilkinson

It doesn't say that the engines are manufactured in China or not. It does bug me that a communist government owns a stake in technology that used to be 100 percent American. If it turns out that the engines will be manufactured in China, it's questionable whether the FAA will be able to adequately oversee their construction. If that's the case, I wouldn't buy one. Very sad...

china

The Chinese built major components for Douglas DC9 many years ago. The Cessna Skypig is built there. The MIG owners claim that the Chinese built are better than Russian built. A US group is trying to cut the Chinese out on the Cirrus deal. I don't like the Chinese buying US companys but I am waay too old to worry much about it.

Well, since the German's bought them before, it's not like anyone here was knocking down their door with offers. Plenty of folks had opportunity. I can't help but think it's a good thing. I'd love to build a BIG bore 4 cylinder Lyc, but at this point I'd take -390 jugs and put them behind a -375 crankshaft... Over 400CID that way.

Talk to Bart Lalonde, you might be surprised...

V

Beijing?

Superior Air Parts is a wholly owned subsidiary of Superior Aviation Beijing,

I prefer to support American and North American companies. Thanks anyway.

I find this whole discussion ridiculous on many levels. Superior may be owned in China but so what? Before, they were owned by Thielert but they existed then, and still do, in Texas. I've seen people who crow that they only 'buy American' and yet I know their American car is built in Mexico with parts manufactured overseas. And who makes their TV or their personal computers or hundreds of other products they use? I'm all for supporting local labor, within reason. But this attitude smacks of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Patrick has managed to highlight the fact that VAf is not the place to discuss politics folks - consider that a gentle reminder from a Moderator.....

Tim archer is back!

I am pleased to see Tim Archer is back at the helm of good American Aviation company, no matter who is supplying the money. Tim Played a big role in building the Superior reputation for quality and I am sure he will keep Quality as job one no matter who is building the parts.

Glenn Wilkinson

hondajet?

robinson?

vans?

sonex?

all the efis companies?

seems like there is still lots of good stuff made in the USA. don't believe the news reports

there are lots of good manufacturing suppliers in the USA that can provide parts for superior, just look up some of the racing car suppliers.

Back