What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Venture Awards Posted

db8

Well Known Member
Air Venture (2010) Awards Posted

Congrats to all who won awards at Oshkosh this year:

CUSTOM-BUILT AWARDS

Kit Outstanding Workmanship - Plaque
Michael Hodge, Roanoke, Texas
2006 Glasair III, N8MH

Dan Hall, Aliso Viejo, California
2001 RV-6A, N670SB

James Woodley, Wasilla, Alaska
2009 Glasair Super II RG, N816WL

Cor Wester, Delaware, Ontario
2010 RV-7, C-FZEY

F. Knotts, Perryburg, Ohio
2008 Lancair IV-P, N4XE

Plans Outstanding Workmanship - Plaque
Ben Ellison, Bellevue, Washington
2009 Gweduck, N204EM

Mark M. Huebbe, St. Peters, Missouri
2010 Sonex, N244HB

Chris May, Owensboro, Kentucky
1981 Corben Baby Ace, N3787Y

John Kerr, Logan, Utah
2009 Hatz Classic, NX687HZ

Robert Dalzell, Owensboro, Kentucky
1974 Corben Baby Ace, N60CA

Kit Champion - Bronze Lindy
Robert Gibbons, Sumter, South Carolina
2010 RV-8, N58RG

Chuck Brietigam, Louisville, Kentucky
2010 CT Cruiser, N60UP

Walter Bestgen, Grass Valley, California
2008 Lancair IV-PT, N900WB

L.S. Reid, Boise, Idaho
2010 Glasair Sportsman, N9771

Jim Gray, Evergreen, Colorado
2008 RV-8, N747JG

Matthew Greenway, Medway, Massachusetts
2007 RV-6, N447MG

Mark Smith/ John McBean, Boise, Idaho
2010 Kitfox Super Sport, N12KA

Russell Steiner, Asheville, North Carolina
2009 Lancair Legacy, N2AA

John Nystrom, Placitas, New Mexico
2009 RV-3B, N3NU

Plans Champion - Bronze Lindy
Charles Brownlow, Wild Rose, Wisconsin
2009 Hatz Classic, N741HC

John Kerr, Logan, Utah
2009 Hatz Classic, N687HZ

Dennis Oelmann, Cedar Falls, Iowa
1989 Cozy, N261DM

James Rodrian, Grafton, Wisconsin
2010 Defiant, N403R

Chris Christiansen, Tempe, Arizona
2009 Savor, N219SE

Reserve Grand Champion Kit Built - Silver Lindy
Wayne McMaster, Greenville, Indiana
2010 RV-7, N767WM

Reserve Grand Champion Plans Built - Silver Lindy
Craig Laporte, Gainesville, Virginia
2009 Wittman Tailwind, N174LF

Paul Poberezny Founders Award for Best Classic Homebuilt
Alan Arps, Schuyler, Nebraska
1968 Starduster SA 100, N198DB

Stan Dzik Memorial Award for Outstanding Design Contribution
Chuck Brietigam, Louisville, Kentucky
2010 CT Cruiser RV-6, N60UP

Grand Champion Kit Built - Gold Lindy
Rick Gray, Vincent, Ohio
2008 F1 Rocket, N251RG

Grand Champion Plans Built - Gold Lindy
Mark Marino, Duluth, Minnesota
2005 Hatz Bantam, N101HB

Last edited by a moderator:
MANY CONGRATS to all the RV winners including my friends Dan Hall and Rick Gray!!!!!! :D Rosie

Congrats to Chuck on his award winning CT Cruiser

I first met Chuck at E-town when he showed up to help Dana disassemble his RV where the jump plane tried to chew it up. A month or so later Chuck invited me over to his house to see his plane while it was under construction. It is great to see him get rewarded for his effort. Chucks friend's Greg has a really nice RV as well.

Great Job Jim Gray!

Congrats Jim Gray!

Good thing you made it out of the back country unscathed or scratched!:)

Congrats JIM Gray

Congrats Jim,
Nice talking with you and Jim.

NOW---- Put the tail hook on it:rolleyes:

Boomer

Congrats Jim Gray!

Congrats Jim Gray!

Good thing you made it out of the back country unscathed or scratched!:)

+1!! N747JG is an amazing aircraft....and I've seen this thing in action. Staring at it on the ramp pales in comparison. Truly inspirational piece of work by a great guy! Congrats Jim!

Thanks Paul. I only put what I learned from you to work :).

Thanks also for the nice comments, emails and calls!

Sharing 8 days at Oshkosh with my daughter Lauren (who helped build our Rocket) was.....as they say....'priceless'.

MANY CONGRATS to all the RV winners including my friends Dan Hall and Rick Gray!!!!!! :D Rosie

Congratulations Rick Gray,
Definitely the most beautiful homebuilt airplane I've ever seen. I'm sure it flies as good as it looks. What's next??

A great bunch of award winning air craft again this year at OSH.

I wish the awards were earlier in the week so we could see the planes that won. Then again, they would get drooled on!

Rick's Rocket was unbelievable, ......to say it is a work of art is a huge under statement.

Congrats to one and all!

Last edited:
Congrats to all!

[Note: This was posted in the Oshkosh '10 Pireps thread, but now that there's an awards thread, I moved it here.]

I'd like to offer a hearty congratulations to all of the SloshKosh 2010 award winners!

It seems that each year the bar is raised just a wee bit. It was pretty apparent from some of the great detail work and excellent workmanship that went into some of the award winners that mere mortals simply cannot compete.

I didn't get to meet all of the RVers who received awards, but a couple do merit personal recognition from me. And, for those of you who missed seeing these particular RVs, you missed a couple of real gems!

First, Jim Gray's beautiful RV-8 garnered quiet attention. Because it sports the Jolly Roger on the vertical stab like mine, I have a soft spot in my heart for it. The paint is excellent, and the care and attention that he expended in the build is evident. It's an honor to call him a friend and I am awaiting with eager anticipation the day when I have the honor of flying on his wing for a photo shoot of our Jolly Roger RV-8s.

Another incredible RV-8 merited a Bronze Lindy for Bob Gibbons. A striking red and black, N58RG was meticulously crafted over a 13+ year timespan. However, unlike MY 13+ year build, Bob actually worked on his all that time! From the paint to the impeccable engine compartment, I had to hold my hand under my chin to collect the drool. And he's a heckuva guy, to boot.

Again, my congratulations to all.

As an aside, Smokey and I received our own awards. One, the coveted yellow ribbon -- the Perseverence Award -- now adorns my hangar. Dang it, I EARNED that! Actually, I must acknowledge that I share it with the likes of Phil Arter, Jerry Thornton, Danny King, Doug Reeves, Jon Ross, Scott Jordan, Kevin Horton, and a host of others here and elsewhere who kicked my butt when needed.

The penultimate award, however, was the Gee Bee Award. No, that isn't a reference to the squat little red-and-white hotrods of yesteryear, but "G.B." A fellow VAFer, who had followed my N8RV thread, came up and introduced himself (I shall omit his name, but you know who you are ). After the introduction, he looked at the cockpit and blurted out, "You ARE a goofy bas***d!" :D

An uncomfortable microsecond later, he began apologizing unnecessarily. It was a hilarious declaration, and it was the highest compliment he could've paid me.

Thank you for the Gee Bee Award.

And I fully expect to receive another one next year when Smokey is sporting an ACES II ejection seat ... :eek:

N670SB

N670SB spent the night in my hangar on it's way to KOSH. I looked Dan's ship over closely and it is one beautiful bird. Congratulations Dan!

CUSTOM-BUILT AWARDS

2001 RV-6A, N670SB

CUSTOM-BUILT AWARDS

Kit Outstanding Workmanship - Plaque

2001 RV-6A, N670SB

P1010416.JPG

Manny Congrats to all the winners. Since a photo of best friend Rick's beautiful F1 Rocket got posted, figured I would post a photo of my friend Dan "SunBlock" Hall's award winning RV-6A.

Back