What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Payment From Superior!!!!

gvouga

Well Known Member
I thought some of you that lost money due to the Superior bankruptcy over a year ago might be interested to know that I received a check from them today.

I had a check for $347 that Superior sent to me due to a ring gear warranty claim back in late 2008. Due to dumb luck, I deposited the check on the day Superior filed for bankruptcy and the it obviously bounced. I filled out the necessary paperwork and sent it to the court for the bankruptcy case, but I really never expected to see the money. However, I received a check today for $347.

Hopefully, some of the others that lost money will also see a check soon.

Incidently, my XP-360 engine has performed great over the 500+ hours that I have had it in service. Superior support was always great while they were around and I've even called them in the past 6 months with some questions and they have been very helpful. Too bad a good company like this ran into these financial issues.

Greg
RV-7A

Greg:

Glad you got your money back. I guess sometimes "the system" does work well for people (although it did seem to take a while).

I too have been enjoying my XP-360 for the last 320 hours. The one reason I chose the setup I did (aluminum vertical draft sump and flat tappets) was so I would never get caught by the single vendor problem. I knew that if they ever went out of business, I could always use Lycoming or ECI parts as direct replacements.

Let me guess -- you lost teeth on your ring gear? I had to same problem and Superior actually replaced it with a Lycoming part.

I also got my portion of my claim as an unsecured creditor. I would guess that we have set a record for highest payout in a bankruptcy case, ever. I have said from the start I had nothing against Superior and even felt guilty making my claim. In the end I am happy with the result.

I can only hope Superior gets back to the status they held before the trouble. I have almost 200 hours on my XP-400SRE, and although I have to deal with being the only one and learn about it on my own, It is a great engine and SUPER fast. Hopefully the XP-400 program can be continued someday. (so I have parts!! haha) A great engine, with some great people behind it.

got mine too..

I lost a $1000 deposit on an engine when they filed... I got a check yesterday for $887.71, which is WAY more than I thought I'd get. It was a good day!

Checked in with Superior today

I gave a call to Superior today and they are still on track to bring the company back. You should be able to get most of the parts you need now and 100 % part availability is the goal.

The new owners understand the importance of maintaining the quality of their product which Superior has always been associated. Thielert made many of the major components and is still in business. Most of the bad guys at Thielert that cooked the books and started the falling dominoes have been replaced, including Frank Thielert. Superior may or may not continue to source from them as they have inflated their prices tremendously. Regardless, if they do switch suppliers, they plan to keep quality as job one.

The long term goal is to begin putting out engines again possibly in kit form or assembled. However, they are a ways from that so don't call asking for engines just yet. The present economy is not helping progress, but they seem to have commitment to reach their long term goal of putting out engines again.

I was encouraged by the resolve to move slowly to make sure each step was in keeping with the Superior reputation. I am sure progress would be faster in a better economy, but all good wine takes time!:eek:

The heart of Superior is still there

I too have spoken with Superior over the last few months. I was under the impression that they closed their doors and was surprised when someone answered the phone.

They are making their way back as mentioned in the previous post. Some of their subcontractors are no longer in business and they will have to resort their subcontract base as they move forward.

I have an IO-360 with roller lifters that hasn't been run yet and I received it almost 3 yrs ago. Soon I will have first engine start and I and have been a little nervous since the bankruptcy. I am very relieved to know they are still there to help with our engines.

I always had great customer service from Superior.

I have the IO-360 horizontal induction with the ryton sump which I replaced and they paid me for my time to swap it out.

Great company. Hope they can make it back.

Back