What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun-N-Fun Advice

Colin McG

We are planning to fly (RV7A) down to Sun N Fun, from Ottawa, and I'd really appreciate any logistical advice. We won't be arriving until the Thursday and our intention was to fly into Lakeland and find a hotel. Is this practical? Do we need a rental car and any suggestions as to where to stay?

All the rental car companies are based on the field but you need to book ahead. Our luck with Lakeland hotels has been less then satisfactory but that could be just lack of local knowledge. Prices seemed to be inflated for the event. Driving 20 to 30 minutes away seemed to make a big difference in price and quality.
Planning on leaving on a specific day can be a problem in April. Leave a large travel window and plan to fly out after a front passes (can you say tail wind!) and plan on leaving Lakeland for the trip home before the arrival of a front if you want a tail wind both ways. Be wary of systems that seem to stall in upper florida. One year I saw a window and left. My buddy wanted to stay a day longer and he was more then a week getting out of north florida. On top of that he got as far as Windsor and had to leave his plane there for another week!
From your location your shortest distance across the mountains would be to fly due south and then fly south easterly to cross the high stuff and end up south of the busy Washington area. The flight along the coast is worth the whole trip.

Thanks for the advice. Weather is weather and I've already had my FBO weekend vacation. If we need a rental then 5 mins away or 30 mins away probably makes little difference. Is it painful to drive in each morning and park? Are we better to 10 mins away and taxi in each day? I'm not a great camper so that's not an option.

Hotels in Lakeland

We always stay in Orlando or Tampa. Plenty of Hotels and restaurants. Tampa about 45 minutes away and Orlando about a hour. Arrive early from your hotel to beat the traffic.
Amen on the weather problems.

SnF

Last year a couple of us flew into Zephyr Hills (KZPH) airport just North of Lakeland. Check with Air-Nav for their phone numbers. There we rented a car and stayed in the Magnuson Hotel. It was clean and the prices were reasonable. Phone No. is 1-866-450-5273. It is about 30-40 minutes by car. Be sure to reserve your car at Zephyr Hills Airport early.

You can fly your plane over to Lakeland after you land and check in to the Motel.

Ditto on the Weather!!!!!!!!!

SnF Procedures

Hi

Are the special SnF arrival/departure procedures applicable only during the event? Just curious how arrival is handled if arrival occurs a day or two before SnF begins. I do have the notam on its way.

Also, can you camp in homebuilt parking?

Thanks

John Crate
RV6A C-FNLY

Hi

Are the special SnF arrival/departure procedures applicable only during the event? Just curious how arrival is handled if arrival occurs a day or two before SnF begins. I do have the notam on its way.

Also, can you camp in homebuilt parking?

Thanks

John Crate
RV6A C-FNLY

The arrival procedure usually start days in advance of the start to accommodate early arrivals, vendors planes, display planes, ect.

My advice, your opinions may vary.

SnF is my least favorite flyin due to the "rip off" mentality the locals have. Twice I have booked a room only to have the reservation mysteriously canceled and the new room rate 50% higher than before. Stand your ground, keep your paperwork confirming the quoted price and get the Florida Department Of Tourism phone number ready incase you need to file a complaint.

The entire area seems geared toward "tourism", it's called "ripping people off" where I come from. Lots of crime in the area so beware. Pay cash for stuff if you buy things from vendors in the buildings. Credit card sales use the unsecured internet system and there are scammers lurking to steal CC numbers via wireless internet. I bought something the day I left last year using my CC and by the time I hit my first fuel stop someone had stolen my CC number and charged $350 in fuel. My card was denied at my first fuel stop.

All I'm trying to say is keep your wits about you, and like Dorthy said, "We ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto."

JMHO.

Last edited:
Bring lots of money, but it is worth it at SNF or OSH.

Rethink the camping option. It is most convenient to be at the airport although it is a hassle bringing enough stuff to make it reasonably comfortable. I've done it both ways and have about decided the camping option is best for seeing the show and ease of coming and going.

I buy a new tent about every five years....they do leak in time.

Plant City or in the direction of Tampa for reasonable motels.

That late in the week, Thursday, you will probably pick up a cancellation at one on the chain motels

Camping

I second the camping option. A very nice family has been volunteering in the home built camping section for many years and they make life very comfortable. Coffee, donuts, breakfast and one dinner. We tip well and they take good care of us. I have found out the hard way that in my later years an air mattress is required.

Its great to roll out of the rack to sound and smell of airplanes, stumble over for a cup of coffee and admire new arrivals. Sit in your favorite chair and contemplate the world or take a short stroll into show center. There is nothing better or cheaper than camping. Your experience is weather dependent! I am only a 35 minute flight away, so I can pick and choose the best days.

Sun N Fun

Another option for the Sun N Fun Fly In is Winter Haven, "KGIF" located a short distance East of Lakeland, 15 miles, easy access via road to KLAL. This year KGIF is featuring on site camping for visitors, rental cars available with a reservation, I beleive it is Enterprise. Easy access to Sun N Fun by air, < 10 min. flight in an RV, new terminal bldg., great little coffee shop located in the terminal, reasonable, self serve fuel, or full service.
Dick

driving to s n f

The parking situation deteriorates pretty quickly as the day goes on. if you get a hotel the drive is never bad into lakeland but I have seen parking lines for 2 miles. Get there early in the am and you will have no problem. Last year we paid a kid at kinda beat up home 25 bucks to let us bpark our car in their driveway. 5 minute walk and he had 25 bucks. worked out well.

You can book a room/condo

There are also many condo's for rent in Florida. One place to find them is www.vrbo.com. If you spend some time looking, you may be able to find one within walking distance to/from an airport. IMHO - Flying in and out of SNF each day is a big part of the fun of attending the show.

I currently have a bed and breakfast booked for late in the week in Bartow. However, my wife just had unplanned eye surgery and may not be able to go. If it's just me, I'll think seriously about camping and save the money.

Where on the grounds can one get an overnight tent campsite if driving in, not flying in? Are they generally available?

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway
Boynton Beach, FL.

camping

Tom camping is really the way to go. They have camp sites reserved just for tents, and then you can put one up just about anywhere. They moved the Fly Market back by the camp grounds this year and made the old maintenance building into convention space, also next to the camping area...If you check out www.sun-n-fun.org you can see a map of the place that shows you were the camping is....also will tell you the rates for camping.

Regards
Rich Denton

Plant City

Others have posted some of the alternate airports (KGIF, KZPH) and I would add to that list KPCM, Plant City, which at 7.7 miles due East, is the closest airport to KLAL. There are several hotel options in Plant City. KCPM is where Vans bases their demo ride operations.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Still not completely sure on what to do but it's likley to be a rental car and a hotel. I'll admit to not completely understanding the linkage between camping and pleasure.

Of the trips to Sun N' Fun (made five now) The best ones have been when we stayed out in Clearwater or St. Pete. You've got the beach, no crowds at restaurants, amazing sunsets, and Hulk Hogan or Randy Savage may show up any old time:) True story. It's only 30-40 minutes to Lakeland Linder if you drive like a local:) And shoot south on County Rd off of 4 and come in from the less busy side.

I drew OSH this year so have a great time!

Matt

Thanks everyone for the advice. Still not completely sure on what to do but it's likley to be a rental car and a hotel. I'll admit to not completely understanding the linkage between camping and pleasure.

I have done the hotel sun-n-fun thing several times and camped at OSH. Camping was much better. Met many more people but also really got to know more people better. If that makes any sense.

Give camping a try. With little equipment it can be comfortable.
It's fairly easy to keep the hygeine up too if that is what you find uncomfortable about it.
A decent tent, good air mattress, coleman stove and a nice sleeping bag and you are set! Full set of camping gear should only be like 25lbs for a few days if you pack right!

May not be the best year to try camping for the first time. When the Thunderbirds practice and perform, they evacuate the campground and the aircraft camping. Last time it averaged about 4 hours per performance and they are scheduled for practices on thurs/fri and shows on sat/sun. Agree that a/c camping is a lot of fun but it kinda messes it up when you can sit next to your plane and watch the show.

May not be the best year to try camping for the first time. When the Thunderbirds practice and perform, they evacuate the campground and the aircraft camping. Last time it averaged about 4 hours per performance and they are scheduled for practices on thurs/fri and shows on sat/sun. Agree that a/c camping is a lot of fun but it kinda messes it up when you can sit next to your plane and watch the show.

Not all camping areas are evacuated for the TBs. The general aviation camping is, but not homebuilt camping. There is also the RV (campers) area closest to the flightline which is cleared but that is all.

Camping

Camping !!
Tip...bring one of those little foldup wheelie things to haul your stuff on from the plane to the camp ground
Regards
Jack

Although I agree that camping is a great way to go, I need to remind you that this IS Florida. Some years are nice and dry and others the place is a swamp. They have done a great job with drainage but the ground can still get saturated, making camping less appealing.

Although I agree that camping is a great way to go, I need to remind you that this IS Florida. Some years are nice and dry and others the place is a swamp. They have done a great job with drainage but the ground can still get saturated, making camping less appealing.

It's OK because we all have a friend named Jim who lives in Kissimmee who will let us stay there if it rains!:D

Hey, the more the merrier!! I can just throw down some blowups and have a great party. Maybe even get some free help wiring my panel ;)

Can you not camp next to your plane at Sun-n-Fun? In Home built camping?

Thanks

Yes, you can camp next to your plane in HBC. That's where I will be this year. You can also camp next to your plane in GAC but you cannot be in GAC during the Thunderbirds demos.

I can't believe I'm going to be doing this but we've decided to camp! If anyone sees what looks like a pile of washing with muffled expletives (British accent) emanating from the inside, parked next to a 7A, please take pity on me and help me untangle myself. Alternatively, if you see someone walking around shaped like an "L" it will be me and I'll have given up on the tent and slept in the aircraft.

Camp at HBC

You made the right decision! Camping at HBC is the way to go (if the weather is good).:p

Check out this link for pictures of 2008 HBC campers:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Flyrod01/SunNFun2008#

IMG_0197.JPG

Back