What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Smoke System

stancaruthers

Well Known Member
Was thinking on purchasing and installing a new smoke system.
Would love to hear from all yall smokers on what not to do.

I installed a system in my -4, and one in a friends Rocket. There are 7 of us at our home field that have put them in, all from the same MFG. Installation was easy and fairly straightforward..not sure I can really say "what not to do", but I would think out your routing of the lines through the cockpit/firewall, ect, before drilling the holes for the runs. The farther up the exhaust the nozzle is installed, the better the vaporization will be and less belly residue. I have a 4 pipe exhaust system, and 2 injectors, will eventually go to 4 to help eliminate the "puffs" common with a 4 pipe. Actually, what not to do is wait...install one now and have fun! "Smoke on".

If you are using an exhaust with expansion joints, do not install the injectors above the joint. You will have oil all inside the cowl and running down the outside of the exhaust pipes.

Marvin at Smoke System Helper....Great guy with lots of knowledge. Nice products and service.

+1 on Marvin at Smoke System Helper. I have his system in my RV6 and it works very well. Kit is complete and well thought out.

Smoke System Helper

I just received my smoke system from Marv at Smoke System Helper when I got home from work last night. Opened up the box with a grin on my face. Clear and complete instructions, well-packaged and a complete kit.

I put the word out there for a smoke system for Christmas. I gave them Marvin at Smoke System Helper as the source.

Fingers crossed! ;)

Called Marvin yesterday and pulled the trigger, maybe someone close to me would like to share the cost on 55 gal of oil I purchased yesterday ;)

Not to change the subject but what kind of oil do you use in these? I had a plane years ago and used concrete form release oil.

He makes a special tank that mounts in the front baggage in the deep well.
He says takes less than 5 minutes to remove. He makes several for the 8.
W&B will be the determining factor I suspect.

Back