What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SB 14-01-31 yet another question about directions

kjlpdx

Well Known Member
page 11 says to trace and then remove hatched area, referring to a hole near the bend in the spar. my 1995-era -6A does not have that hole. I'm guessing that these holes in the doubler address stiffness, which is why we have to clip flanges and relieve bends in this fix. So, should I be adding this hole, or do I ignore it?

That hole that they are talking about in the original spar web is for the manual trim cable. If you have electric trim you may not have the hole. Mine has electric trim and the hole, go figure. If you don't have the hole you do not want (need) to add the hole to the doubler.

of course. it's been many years since I had to think about that stuff. I have electric trim.

Long Ago . . .

I wondered about this issue for a bit myself, also having built my -6 tail way back in early 1995 and trying to remember back that far! But it looked pretty clear that this hole would only be needed for manual trim, and the SB instructions did not indicate a matching hole on the right side doubler, so it didn't appear to be a stiffness issue or the like.

Back