What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whirlwind bummer

erich weaver

Well Known Member
My 200RV prop started thowing grease awhile back (240 hrs) and what was intially a minor nuisance is now starting to affect my forward vision through the canopy on every flight. Talked to Whirlwind, and apparently the problem is due to an incompatibility between the o rings they used in the prop and the type of grease; the grease actually dries out the o rings over time. They now are using a viton o ring that doesnt have this problem. Not sure when the switch was made, but I think my prop was purchased maybe 5 years ago or so - will have to check the receipt.

American Propeller in Redding CA services Whirlwind props, and they quoted me $775 to take care of the problem, and $875 for a full 650-hr insepection, that would re-set the overhaul clock. That assumes I remove and re-install the prop myself. Turn-around time is approximately two weeks.

Given the cost and the source of the problem I have asked Whirlwind about warranty coverage, and am currently awaiting their response.

Not looking forward to removing and re-installation of the prop, let alone laying out any cash.

erich

Sorry to hear about your grease issue. I had a great experience with the guys at American Propeller (Kevin specifically) on my recent overhaul (I have a Hoffmann, not a Whirlwind). I can recommend American Propeller service without hesitation. Hopefully Whirlwind will do something to ease the pain for you (I have heard good things about them too)! Good luck to you.

They are really good people!!!!

I am sure they will help you out if possible. The current operation in Ohio that are manufacturing the C/S propellers are not the same operation as the San Diego facility. If you purchased from Ohio I think you may be in luck. They build a world class product and have virtually no issues with them. Regards all, Allan
:)

had the same problem

basically from day one. Was able to fly to Ohio and have it taken care of, while I waited (about 3 hours), for free, prop zero timed after rebuild.

Realize you are in CA but I would think that the home office will help you out.

Good luck

If the prop has not had a overhaul in the last 5 years I suspect they will be reluctant to provide much assistance. I believe 5 years is the normal overhaul point on the RV prop. If it has been overhauled since then I would hope they step up and provide some help on a prorated basis.

George

Here's another very positive experience with the Ohio bunch - and they highly recommend the Redding bunch. We sent our used prop governor to Redding to be checked out, and I felt the service fee was reasonable and the service quick. Of course we had to pay (we bought second-hand here on the forums), but I felt all the services were well worth the money, and they worked with us quite a bit to keep costs down.

Paul

update - looks like this is resolved

Whirlwind appears to be stepping up to the plate and has worked out an arrangement for American Propeller in Redding to perform warranty service and fix my seal problem. Not looking forward to the prop removal/reinstall and safey wire process, but at least its not money out of my pocket to fix Whirlwind's mistake, and kudos to Whirlwind for sucking it up and doing whats right. That will keep me as a customer, and perhaps convince others on this forum to go with their product.

I will likely throw some of my own $ at this as well to do the complete 650-hr overhaul now while its at their shop instead of going though all this again later completely on my nickel. Not sure how much that 'upgrade' to the warranty service will cost yet - I will work it out with Todd at American Propeller.

regards

erich

Excellent!!

In situations like this with a positive manufactures response... standing up to the plate, I would encourage other builders to purchase from such an outstanding company. :)

Back