What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

audio panel location

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I don't think that I have ever seen a radio stack that had the audio panel in any location other than the top of the stack. Although I want to keep my panel in a rather "standard" layout.....I am wondering how it would work out to have the audio panel lower in the stack. That would solve a potential interference problem with the airframe ahead of the panel.

So, has anyone located their audio panel any place other than at the top of the stack? I am considering the stack as follows:

SL30
ICOM A200
PMA 8000B audio panel
G 327 transponder

The conventional stack would be:

PMA 8000B
SL30
ICOM A 200
G 327 transponder

TONY,

I don't know if it is standard or not but I have just put mine on the bottom.
Garmin 430w Sl30, and PMA09000 on the bottom. Figured I would be using it less plus like you said it is shorter less interference.

thinking of doing the same...

My flying rv6a intercom sucks. Thinking of replacing the intercom and com2 with one of the new PS Engineering PAR100EX. This would go in the slot where the com2 (icom A210) currently sits right above the transponder.

So, my stack would look like:

MGL Mini Extreme
Icom A210
PAR100EX
Transponder

I agree that I haven't seen the audio panel installed there on other aircraft, but I think it's a great place for it.

Hope that helps!

The reason that has become the default location is exactly to solve the problem you mention - airframe interference. If you look at your stack of avionics (the ones you listed), the audio panel has the smallest footprint behind the panel of any you listed. If you swap positions with any of the other equipment you listed they are all significantly larger behind the panel. For example your swap ends up with the SL-30 on top which is WAYYY deeper and also thicker - thereby not solving anything regarding space savings.

From a practicality/functional perspective it really doesn't matter much....these are many times sort of "set it and forget it" devices. it can also make the wire routing a wee bit cleaner to have it either on the top or the bottom of the entire stack (instead of the middle).

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for your repsonses.

The major interference with the airframe is the bottom few inches where the Z frame is located on the RV8. The transponder, which is at the bottom of the stack, is the second shortest device and will probably not interefere with the z frame. The ICOM com radio will probably just touch the z frame.

I will know more about this very soon, perhaps even later tonight, when I trial fit the panel with the trays attached. I actually kinda like the idea of having my Nav Com radio at the top of the stack instead of the audio panel.

I already have my 396 in an airgizmo mount in the middle bottom position of the panel because it is so short and does not interfere at all with the airframe.

Based upon Steins input I will have to consider putting the audio panel at the very bottom instead of the #3 position. I am used to the audio panel on top and transponder on the bottom but willing to keep an open mind.

Ahhh...my bad! I knew you had an RV8. Therefore you of course are correct and you'll notice that in most panels we do with large stacks that indeed we use the audio panel on the bottom to avoid either the z-brace on the baggage bulkhead or the crossbrace between the gear towers. It's not uncommon at all to have the audio panel or transponder in a non-standard location of an RV8 panel just due to those very issues.

Cheers,
Stein

Back