What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying The Grand Canyon From Las Vegas

luv2flypilot

Well Known Member
I am going to be heading to Las Vegas at the end of the month and flying into Henderson airport. I have made the flight 3 to 4 times from the Bay Area, CA but have never taken a flight over the Grand Canyon yet. I purchased the Grand Canyon VFR Aeronautical Chart and will be reviewing it as soon as it gets here.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a flight plane leaving and returning to Henderson for a quick tour? I know that in most areas aircraft operations are prohibited below 14,500 feet MSL.

Last edited:
I have gone east along the southern canyon area then pick one or more VFR flight corridors. I programmed the corridor waypoints into my GPS to make it easier to navigate. Once you get the map you will have a better idea what is allowed.

This may be useful

http://grandcanyonairspace.iat.gov/index1.html

Last edited:
I just did this from St. George Utah in April. We did all of the VFR corridors and Zion National Park in two hours, slightly longer from Vega's but still very doable.
We just zig zagged from one side to the other through the corridors. You get to see pretty much all of the Canyon.
I would recommend you go as early as you can in the am and better your chances for a smooth flight. The morning sun makes some amazing shadows in the Canyon.
Enjoy.

Early or Late

We did a run of the Canyon last year from Vegas to Page, AZ. As noted above, its best to go early or late for multiple reasons....... less traffic, less thermals, better light for photos. I think we started out around 1600. Early in the trip, the radio chatter was distracting with all the tour aircraft reporting, but about 30 to 45 min in to the flight, it became very peaceful. As our flight of three headed North through Marble Canyon, the East walls were in the spotlight of the low sun and it felt as if we were the only ones out there. We stopped for fuel in Page, AZ and continued on to Monument valley. A beautiful smooth flight into MV and we were unloading the planes in dusk light. The only down side is, if your camping, you will be setting up your tent in the dark. Stay in the hotel and it will be perfect!

Back