What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7" skyview displays

mattsmith

Well Known Member
Hi,
I have started laying out my panel and am committed to two 7" skyview displays. It looks like it is going to be a very tight fit. Has anyone stacked two 7" skyview displays in an 8 yet, and if you did were any modifications required to the panel? Without the actual panels it is too close to tell.

I am a ways away from getting the displays but want to cut the panel so when I get them I can drop them in.
Thanks Matt.

I did and fits like a glove..... :)
23rmg4l.jpg

Hi,
I have started laying out my panel and am committed to two 7" skyview displays. It looks like it is going to be a very tight fit. Has anyone stacked two 7" skyview displays in an 8 yet, and if you did were any modifications required to the panel? Without the actual panels it is too close to tell.

I am a ways away from getting the displays but want to cut the panel so when I get them I can drop them in.
Thanks Matt.

This is the route I am wanting to go as well..

You might call Stein, if anybody knows the answer, he will.

Good thing, he is very open to give advice/help, and not just try to turn a question into a sale.

I'am still waiting on the picture from stein of how to fit two 10" skyviews the 430w sl40 and 327 in a 8 panel from a previous post. Can it be done? Would like to see a 10" skyview 430w sl30 and a 696 mounted in a 8 panel. By the looks of my progress on my kitlog I need some more dead presidents or money that is to buy all this stuff. This economy is depleating my airplane fund. Not ready to throw in the towel yet.

I'am still waiting on the picture from stein of how to fit two 10" skyviews the 430w sl40 and 327 in a 8 panel from a previous post. Can it be done? Would like to see a 10" skyview 430w sl30 and a 696 mounted in a 8 panel. By the looks of my progress on my kitlog I need some more dead presidents or money that is to buy all this stuff. This economy is depleating my airplane fund. Not ready to throw in the towel yet.

Here's one we'll be doing later in the spring....

skyviewdualRV8.JPG

Cheers,
Stein

You might call Stein, if anybody knows the answer, he will.

Good thing, he is very open to give advice/help, and not just try to turn a question into a sale.

I'll second what Mike said about Stein. Maybe his mother does dress him funny (the Garanimals thing never worked for him), but he's a straight shooter when it comes to panel design.

I have dual Dynon units along with altimeter, ASI, AP and CDI indicator in the panel, along with SL-30, txpdr, audio panel, CD player and other necessary junk and Stein didn't have to shoehorn anything in. The SL-30 is tight in back with the cross-brace, but it does fit.

I just did the layout in Panel Planner and Stein told me what would and wouldn't work.

Also, you might check Dynon's site for full-size images that you can cut out and tape to your panel to see how much room you have. I did that and the finished product came out amazingly close ...

panel_layout.jpg

Panel_1.jpg

I can't imagine that the 7" Skyviews would be any harder to fit. Check with Stein. He's a good egg, if a bit cracked.

Oh, and don't mention the Garanimals thing -- he's kinda sensitive about that. :D

I talked with Paul at Stein air and he sent me a PDF of the panel with the 7" displays staked. Looks like I will have to countersink the screws that hold the main panel to the outer panel but I like that better then the pan head screws that come with the kit. It is going to be tight but should be doable. I will post pics when I get it done.

Don,
I am putting two vents in my 8A and was thinking of putting the one on the right down low in the baggage compartment like you did, how do you like it there? do you think it is better then both vents up high in the panel?

Also I noticed you installed a Hobbs meter in addition to the Dynons, Did you do this in case of the Dynon giving up the Ghost? I was also thinking of installing the Hobbs.

Just a quick FYI, but when putting things way up high in the RV8 panel where you run into interference there are a couple different things you can do. First, you can "reposition" the holes that van's uses for the mounting of the main panel tot he "wings" or outer panels. We often time will do that so we don't have to try and use flush screws, etc.. It also allows us to put them wherever we want to allow for putting screens and other things all the way up vertically. Also, I wouldn't be too afraid of slightly cutting into the flanges of the outside panels (wings) in order to gain more space. It's surprising what you can cram into these thigns if you get creative! You can also change the entire way things are mounted and instead of using 3 pieces for the RV8 panel, make a larger center panel with no outboard wings, so on and so forth. This is the fun of "homebuilding"!

Have a great week and Happy Holidays to all!

Cheers,
Stein

Don,
I am putting two vents in my 8A and was thinking of putting the one on the right down low in the baggage compartment like you did, how do you like it there? do you think it is better then both vents up high in the panel?

Also I noticed you installed a Hobbs meter in addition to the Dynons, Did you do this in case of the Dynon giving up the Ghost? I was also thinking of installing the Hobbs.

Matt, you give me undeserved credit for forethought. I installed the Hobbs meter because I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THE DYNON HAD IT BUILT IN! Further, you'll note the trim indicators, too. Same reason. D'oh!

As for the vent, the one mounted on the right gear leg tower is for heat. In the summer, it blasts out a terrific amount of heat if I accidentally open it. In the winter it hibernates and tinkles out a pathetically lukewarm stream of air. However, it's not a bad location. It keeps my right shin warm until it gets down below 20*.

Yeesh. It looks like there was an explosion in a switch factory and your throttle quadrant got caught in the middle of it. :)

I want to know where the stick grip came from? Do tell!

Update: Nevermind, Found with a little searching! I'm lovin' the theme!

Last edited:
If you guys only knew the half of Dr.Don's full affliction (he's crazy). :D He needs to post the pictures of his plane as it sits today with all the "stuff" mounted everywhere. I'll let him expound on all the nifty "enhancements" like the throttle, stick, HUD, mirros, ejection seat, etc........

Cheers,
Stein

Back