What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transferring smoke oil ?

Brantel

Well Known Member
For you guys with smoke systems that buy oil in bulk drums, what do you use to xfer the oil from the drum to the tank in the plane without making a mess?

For you guys with smoke systems that buy oil in bulk drums, what do you use to xfer the oil from the drum to the tank in the plane without making a mess?

No drum here, just 5 gallon buckets, but I bought another pump, some more hose and fittings, and then a set of leakproof quick-disconnect fittings (I think they're made by Jiffy-Tite, IIRC).

I just run the hose into the baggage area where the tank is, attach the leakproof quick-disconnect, and turn on the pump. No muss, no fuss. I didn't want to get smoke oil anywhere on my nice Classic Aero interior panels or carpets or anything, and this has worked great.

I use an 12V electric diaphragm pump from an rv(camper) to pump to the tank on the plane. You can put some drip free fittings on the end of the hose to get a good drip free shut-off.
Regards,

I use a plastic oil can with a long plastic hose and a good shut off fitting on the end. My tank is in the aft baggage. No mess issues.

The key is to burn lots of smoke oil so you get lots of practice filling the tank. :)

I have a 55 gal drum of smoke oil. The guy who sold it to me gave me a cheap plastic siphon pump that installs in one of the drum bungs. I use that to fill a five gallon plastic fuel can and then use that to put in the airplane. I suspect the siphon pump is in the 10 dollar range and requires not electricity.

cheap siphon/ gallon cans

I also use the cheapo 55gal siphon, and load up a half dozen 1 gallon clear bottles (save my winshield washer fluid bottles). My smoke tank is behind rear seat in the -4, and with the gallon bottles, its easy to fill and watch my levels. I dont use enough to be concerned about a full top-off often, or I would install the external fill port and use an electric pump. For now, no need for batteries or powered transfer pump stuff.

smoke oil transfer

Shur Flow pump on the barrel with battery jump box for power. Plumbed with clear hose and a ball valve for a shut off. Made a wheeled dolly to move the barrel to the airplane.

Thanks for the ideas.

I am asking because I am looking for the least painful way to do it without making a mess that is also inexpensive.

The cost to purchase and install a full smoke system along with a drum of oil is quickly becoming significant.....hence the inexpensive part. :eek:

Smoke oil auto fill and empty

I put quick connects on both the inlet and outlet of the smoke oil tank and have an extension hose with a quick connect as well. Add an extra switch close to the tank. Now you can use the plane's smoke oil pump to fill or empty the tank depending on which way you run the hoses. Fills 5 gallons from empty in about three minutes. Just ensure the cap is open on the tank and don't let it overflow while filling since there isn't an automatic shutoff using this method.

I put electrical quick disconnects as well and mounted the pump to the tank itself. This makes the entire unit removable from the plane in just a few minutes and it will empty itself back into the smoke oil drum first. No mess and as close to an Extra 300 as you can get without buying a reversible smoke oil pump. Total parts required are two and a half quick connects and an extra length of hose. Optional is the extra quick connect for the electric wires and an extra in line switch near the tank. Mine is located in the aft baggage.

Also if you mount the flow adjuster in the cockpit you can adjust the smoke volume while flying depending on how much you want to put out. Mounting the tank in the aft baggage on an 8 like this helps the cg for solo acro and is completely removable when you want the baggage compartment back to normal.

Tommy

Brian, using a Reverso gear pump or similar, the system can be plumbed to be self filling. DC pump, so it will run in either direction, needing only a DPDT switch wired for polarity reversal, like a flap switch.

Most smoke systems have a solenoid valve at the firewall wired in parallel with the pump. It's open with the pump on, and closed when the pump off, for a nice crisp on-off supply to the hot exhaust.

Given this collection of parts, the system can be made self-filling by adding a tee-fitting at the pump outlet, connecting the extra leg to a belly quick-connect, and wiring the solenoid valve so it does not open when the pump switch is in the reverse direction. Just couple a siphon hose to the quick-connect, shove the other end into the oil drum, flip the switch, and monitor the smoke tank for quantity.

Back