What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank Attach Bolt Torque

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I can't find the value for AN3 torque values when attaching the fuel tanks to the spar. I'm not sure if the table in section 5 is to be followed or not. I searched and couldn't find it. What are yall doing?

Torque values are for the bolt in most cases, not really associated with what it's holding in place. Therefore the normal torque for an AN3 bolt of 20-25 inch lbs. should apply. Now, if your going into a plate nut, you may find it takes that much torque to make it turn, in those cases I had to use old fashion judgement in snugging it up. It doesn't take much to torque an AN3 bolt into two pieces.

I recently attached a tank and measured the run on torque at about 12 inch pounds. Pretty much the same as the self locking nuts. I torqued them to 37 inch pounds.

Okay I wasn't sure if the bolt should be torqued the same for a nut plate as it is for a nut.... My running torque is higher, about 22 in-lbs. I'm not putting any lube on the bolts. Not sure why mine is higher.....

No lube on my bolts. However, I have noticed with nut plates, that when they first engage they seem to have a higher run on torque that drops some after the threads are all engaged. So I measure it after the threads have completely engaged.

I do use lube on screws that attach via nut plates, like on the tanks.

Having removed and installed those 21 AN3- bolts on 7 different occasions on my left fuel tank I can tell you that once your tank is on the wing, once the wing is on the airplane, and once you are reaching your arm through three lightening holes through 3 different ribs to reach those AN3- bolts you will NOT be putting a torque wrench on those bolts. Tighten the things down adequately to your best judgement and I guarantee they will stay on.

7 times! Ouch

I've done that once. That was plenty. Doesn't take too long but it'll make an athlete out of you, hard on the arms too.

Back