What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back Window

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Has anyone figured out how to dimple those 3 holes in the skin where the window is? The first one is in the center of the rollbar brace by the top skin, about 1/2" clearance and the other two are one on each side at the bottom of the window against the rollbar. There isn't enough room to get a yoke with a dimple die in between the skin and the rollbar, or the skin and the brace. I spoke to Van's support and the suggestion was to use a round head screw and don't dimple it. Hmmm, that's not a solution for me. There has to be a way to get to it. The dimple is for the head of a #6 screw, so the two pull dimple dies with the nail are not big enough. Thanks.

Last edited:
For the screw holes on the lower sides - The plans direct the builder to delay riveting the fwd 6 inches or so of the ends of the skins so that they can be pealed back to dimple after fitting of the window.

The center top hole can be done using the c-frame dimpling tool with the set extension installed (working through the screw access hole in the roll bar brace. For a rooky it might be best to use a helper and add some extra mass to the base of the tool.

Dimples

For the screw holes on the lower sides - The plans direct the builder to delay riveting the fwd 6 inches or so of the ends of the skins so that they can be pealed back to dimple after fitting of the window

Thanks Scott. Since i didn't have the #36 plexiglass bit to drill the holes in the back window, I moved ahead. In the next few pages, the side skin gets attached there, so yes, I messed up, again. No worries though, I can remove those rivets since they are pop rivets, dimple those two holes and re-pop them. Thank you of the speedy reply.

Rivets

I don't recall those being pop style rivets, pretty sure they are AN426AD3.

Not on that little clip that attaches the side skin to the rollbar. If you take out those pop rivets, I think you can get to that hole to dimple it. I'll look at it again. Thanks Ron.

Back