What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting in the 14

awilson

I sat in the 12 at Oshkosh last year and at 5ft 5 inches AND short legs I was a good 4 inches from reaching the rudder pedals. But I am a stocky guy and need all the width I can get. Any comments on how I can fit into the 14?

My wife (5' 2") will have a similar problem. I am about 5' 7" and have no issue. My wife won't be happy if she can't fly the plane, so I will make it work some how.

First, at Oshkosh they have the plane setup for fitting the most people in for test flights and sitting in the plane, so I assume that the seat is in the farthest back position. There are three positions. I am not sure how far apart they are, but essentially it pushes your lower back closer to the front. It looks like probably 2" closer in the closet position.

Second is pedal extensions. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=687757&postcount=8

Finally, I talked with the Classic Aero Design about their seats. They custom make the seats. They send you the rough seats with extra foam. You cut them down so they fit you. You send them back and finish them off for you. I think that this is great because I am not sure how the seats work in the -14. Does the back only slide forward at the bottom or at the top as well. If only at the bottom, then one might be leaning back too much.

I don't know how hard it will be to switch things around in the plane. So one of us might be flying from the right seat all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like most of the other SBS RV's, the seat back has three positions at the top and bottom.
The rudder pedal assemblies also have three different for/aft mounting positions. All of vans demonstrators have the pedals mounted in the middle position.

Will the 5'2" be able to fy

One of the above posters asked about a 5'2" person being able to fly the plane. Does anyone know if that would be possible, or would further modifications be needed.
If further. Mods are needed, what would those be? One of my concerns is the stick location, and not being able to be far enough forward to reach the pedals.
Thanks in advance

One of the above posters asked about a 5'2" person being able to fly the plane. Does anyone know if that would be possible, or would further modifications be needed.
If further. Mods are needed, what would those be? One of my concerns is the stick location, and not being able to be far enough forward to reach the pedals.
Thanks in advance

It would probably require some rudder pedal extensions (as already mentioned). Not too difficult to do.

Back