What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stock Landing Light Choices

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm about to put together the leading edge of my wing and I just realized the light kit I ordered with the wing was the wing tips and all along I've been thinking it was the landing lights. And I have no landing lights and the leading edge instructions don't talk about it much.

I know there are other options - but I want to do it the way Van's intended... but what is that? Later on am I to pull off the lens and install the light somehow? How is it mounted? Will I have to work through that small hole and drill and fit? I'm unable to see ahead to what comes next....?

If there is any light mounting work required other than just screwing it in I'd sure like to do it now. Anyone?

The light brackets did not come in the wing kit. I called twice checking to see if the were ready to ship but no joy. It has been a few months since the last time I checked.

Fig2 on page 17-05 shows the light bracket mount plate. There are 2 nut plates on the sides as well. The openings are oval so don't look like PAR36. I believe PAR36 lights also have a tab on top which fits a recess for clocking. You could modify the opening but you'd still need a circular backing plate (with recess for the tab) a rubber gasket for the light to seat on and a circular mounting ring which screws on to hold the light in place.

The manual doesn't mention any of this or what the 2 nut plates are for. I can't find any place on line which sells just the backing plate and mounting ring, although I'm sure you could pay a hundred dollars or so to get them from the Cessna parts store :)

Once you have these items, you could just install one or two GE landing lights at 12.95 ea and Aircraft spruce sells red, green and white LED nav lights for $33 ea so your whole (very basic) lighting cost would be just over $100 and easy to upgrade later.

after checking Van's on-line catalog (under lighting options), it looks like the 2 nut plates may be for mounting the 12-bulb landing light shown in the "RV-12 comprehensive package" ($1325 !!)They seem to have mounting holes on the side about where the 2 nut plates on the bracket are...

Anybody with the finish kit have any better info?

Lighting

Nothing in the finish kit re lighting.

Van's told me a while back it wasn't ready yet. I was looking for something else to do while waiting. I am 99% sure they are PAR36 and they will have a mounting kit, but they wanted to get the other kits out first. I noticed on the new Page 01-01 they have a Section OP-52 for the landing light. I know another builder bought the mounting kit for the PAR36 from another supplier and made it fit. I'm waiting for Van's because, I'm sure it will fit right in there.

Back