What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFIS and EMS installation question

scsmith

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I have a Dynon EMS D-100, which I am very happy with, except for an installation detail.
I'm curious if ANY of the available EFIS and/or EMS packages satisfy my desire, which is.......

My Dynon has two large (subminiature) connectors on the back, which plug in and are retained with the tiny screws at the ends of the connectors.

So, to remove it.....grrr, I have to get back there and undo those little screws.
I did not have enough harness length to leave a big enough service loop to allow the box to come out of its tray far enough to reach in from the front to undo the plugs. Maybe that's my fault...

But wouldn't it be nice if these things mounted in trays that had the connectors mounted to the back of the tray, like a radio? So when you pull the box, it unplugs. Wouldn't that be nice?????

Does ANYONE make an EFIS or EMS that has this feature?

D-sub style connectors, right? There are many, many variations on latching features for them, and most are interchangeable. Suggest googling 'd-sub slide connector' and 'd-sub bale connector' (my favorite). There are lots of other options, too.

http://www.alliedelec.com/d-sub-accessories-hardware/slide-spring-latches/
or
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/290662-bail-lock-hardware-kit-5552567-1.html

Either of those styles can be locked/unlocked 'blind'. I actually prefer this connector style (with a proper latch) to a tray-type mount. If you set up your service loops correctly, it is a lot easier to do troubleshooting if you can simply bring the instrument out of the panel into your lap, remove the connector shell, and then have full access to all the terminals.

Charlie

Not a bad idea....

Thanks Brian,

I think I'll ask Stein to make me one. there's a lot of pins to crimp...

And also, the thermocouple plug really should use thermocouple wire and ideally, even the correct alloy pins (I don't even know if they make such a thing?) Not going to be much temperature difference from one side of the plug to the other, so not much error from using standard pins.

But to the original question -- does anyone make an EFIS or EMS with a tray with the connectors mounted in the tray like a normal radio mounting tray?

But to the original question -- does anyone make an EFIS or EMS with a tray with the connectors mounted in the tray like a normal radio mounting tray?

Sorry Steve - I think I have seen all the EFIS's on the market, and don't know of any that mount the way you woudl like - nothign that slides in to the connectors.

Paul

The easy solution is to put on thumbscrews (I think we sell them for about $.40) and then it's MUCH easier to get those connectors on and off. Also, the "slide latch" and othe types of quick connectors have for the most part been abandoned by the industry due to long term reliability issues with them. They may be handy at first, but not so much after they get loosened up. Better to use a good positive capture of some sort.

Cheers,
Stein

I hate the little bitty screws...but the knurled knobs seem harder to tighten all the way with my big old fingers.

Do you all use any blue loctite or anything on these to prevent them backing out?

I hate the little bitty screws...but the knurled knobs seem harder to tighten all the way with my big old fingers.

Do you all use any blue loctite or anything on these to prevent them backing out?

Do not use loctite, if you do, then the next time you need to take the plug off (or some poor sap like me) the anchor nut will probably spin causing even more headaches.

Back