What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote Tire Pressure Monitor / Alarm

Noah

Well Known Member
New cars all have 'em. Anybody installed a remote tire pressure monitor / alarm in an RV yet? Some of these sytems are simply a screw-on tire valve cap which is also a transmitter. Given how difficult checking air pressure in an RV can be, seems like this would be a nice feature to have as well.

I unknowingly picked up some FOD in a tire on taxi-out for takeoff once, by the time I came in to land the tire was flat. Had no idea anything was wrong until roll-out, a wicked vibration, strong deceleration, and strong pull to the left. In a less forgiving airplane than the 182, could have been worse. Not a fun landing and disabled on the runway, unable to move with the tire completely flat. Sat there for an hour while the nearest mechanic drove over and repaired it. Would have been nice to have seen low tire pressure warning (assuming pressure was dropping) prior to advancing the throttle on takeoff, could have averted a lot of headache, as well as an unsafe condition.

Seems like a no brainer to hook up to the EMS to warn you of low tire pressure, among all the other alarms. EMS vendors?

car systems may not work

I believe some car systems use the antilock brake sensors to determine if wheels are rotating at different speeds thus indicating a change in tire pressure. It takes several miles for the system to calibrate and report. Wouldn't work too well on airplanes if you're only traveling a half mile on your tires.
The valve stem sensors may work, but using them opens the schrader valve creating a point of leakage.
I'd love to see a reliable system on airplanes.

Last edited:
Most if not all OEM tire monitor systems are internal.

The aftermarket on the valve stem ones I have seen are pretty long so would
have problems fitting under wheel skirts.

I am looking at a system for my travel trailer and have only found the valve stem type for aftermarket but have not done an extensive search. You need two components a pressure transducer with transmitter and a receiver. The receiver has to be pretty close to the transmitter on the tire so likely would have to fit inside the wheel fairing. Would be a nice addition if all the little problems could be worked out.

Just did a more extensive search and here is a system with internal sensors and a transmit range of 32 feet.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=51

Bob Parry

Last edited:
This was discussed on a thread 3 or 4 months ago. I had just seen my neighbor put the SPC system that Spruce sells on his Archer and thought it was pretty cool.

However, another VAF'er pointed out that with the SPC system the tire valve is always open.

Tubless

Don't forget the "in wheel" senders expect a tubeless tyre also. We are limited to the valve based units...

The valve-stem ones are not a good solution where tires are critical to safety... They hold the valve stem open full time, and rely on making a seal between the end of the stem and a rubber ring inside the cap. If they vibrate loose, you'll start losing air. I guess at least you'll know about it, but it's really not as good a seal as the presta valve inside the stem itself.

Look for a system that uses an internal, rim-mounted sensor instead. At least that's what I would do.

Tubes

Look for a system that uses an internal, rim-mounted sensor instead. At least that's what I would do.

As JackW noted above, the internal system assumes a tubeless tire. Not many of those in aviation.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

just off the top of my head might be able to use a load cell between the tube and the rim to measure the pressure the tube places on the rim. the electronics would have to be surface mount though to be flat enough to be placed between the tube and the rim. i will have to give this a little more thought.

bob burns

Balance

As JackW noted above, the internal system assumes a tubeless tire. Not many of those in aviation.

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Not to mention the serious wheel balancing that would be required after the sensor was mounted to the rim...

Valve Stem Types

...but it's really not as good a seal as the presta valve inside the stem itself.

Not to nit-pick but in the interest of providing technically accurate information: Our tire valve stems use Schrader valves. Presta valves are the type that you typically find on high-performance bicycle tires that needs to be unscrewed to unlock them for inflation.

Skylor

Balance

Not to mention the serious wheel balancing that would be required after the sensor was mounted to the rim...

The balance issue is real, do the math and figure the RPM of the wheels at lift off. A whole lot more than the wheels on your car at the same groundspeed.

As I have stated before, my preference is no sensors or electronics. I remove the front half of the fairings on my '8' once a month, check the pressure, examine the tire for wear and damage, and while I'm there, look at the brakes. Takes about 5 minutes.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Back