What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 29 - Modification of Bucking Bar?

steve murray

Well Known Member
Just finished all the drilling in section 29...whew, was nervous about the edge distance when drilling the upper & lower fuselage to the fit firewall weldments... with heavy use of these forums, builders websites and a call to Vans I survived...:p

Section 29 page 16 calls out to modify the empennage bucking bar. I never purchased this bucking bar for the empennage and was looking for input if it is really needed for the fuselage?

I have got a week or two of prep work prior to starting the riveting and was wondering if anyone had done this without the specialty bucking bar or do I need to stop being so cheap an order the tool?

Just finished all the drilling in section 29...whew, was nervous about the edge distance when drilling the upper & lower fuselage to the fit firewall weldments... with heavy use of these forums, builders websites and a call to Vans I survived...:p

Section 29 page 16 calls out to modify the empennage bucking bar. I never purchased this bucking bar for the empennage and was looking for input if it is really needed for the fuselage?

I have got a week or two of prep work prior to starting the riveting and was wondering if anyone had done this without the specialty bucking bar or do I need to stop being so cheap an order the tool?

All Van's is doing is trying to repurpose an existing tool that had limited use -- you know trying to get the most bang for the buck kind of thing. Any bucking bar that fits in the space (with or without modification) and will adequately form the shop head will work. I have that bar but never used again after the elevators. So no, you don't need to go buy it for section 29.

Last edited:
You'll find that there are several situations that you'll want to modify your tools to fit a particular situation. The plans are just guidelines. You are the manufacturer and need to determine the best method and tool to use.

With that said, I didn't modify the tool, so I can tell you that wasn't what I did. I don't have the plans handy and it was over six years ago, so my memory can't recall.

But like I said, if it's just getting a bucking bar into a specific space, get creative with whatever you have on hand. The more mass it has, the better it will work. As long as the rivet is set to specification, the tool you use doesn't matter.

I have the bucking bar and used it on a few of the rivets in question.
I also had scrapes and cuts on my forearms from using the tungsten bar on a few that I didn't like the modified bar - between the F-1015 and F-1016 ribs.

Both work. It's a balance of feel, weight and protecting the surrounding structure. In the end, you'll be cursing a few either way.

Bar

I am in the exact place you are in the plans. I will say I've used that bar on a couple locations on my build. I think it's a good bar to own. I even used it on the wing SB after the wings were closed up. Keep plugging away . It's almost starting to look like something, close to sitting in and make airplane sounds :)

Back