What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII Amp Draw

b1driver

Well Known Member
Has anyone got any good numbers on how many AMPS a single ECU and Coil draws at peak. Im trying to figure out my backup source of power and leaning towards a TCW battery (3 AMP hours version). I like this approach because of the automatic switching it offers should I have an issue with the main source of power. I know that EFII claims 1.1 AMPS at 2500 RPM but I was looking for in the field numbers out there since the ECU requires a 5 AMP breaker and the coils require 10 AMPS. Thanks a ton ahead of time for any info.

Are you also using the fuel injection portion? If so you'll also have to account for a fuel pump. The SDS EM-5 install says:

Current draw of the pump, ECU, injectors and coils would be around 7.5 to 10 amps. An 8 amp/hour battery should give you a solid 30 minutes of flight time, just running the engine electrics. An 18 amp/hour one, around 1 hour. We want to be able to sustain at least 10 volts to the electrics.

I'm curious given the weight, wiring complexity and cost why more folks don't opt for a secondary alternator, B&C for example?

I installed the second B&C alternator, 30 amps. I also have a second EarthX battery.

That is my plan as well. I'm planning to eventually be IFR capable, so I wanted that redundancy. I figure it would also give me enough redundancy that I could fly day VFR with one battery or one alternator inop, at least to get back home.

I can probably get a good estimate on my next flight if I remember.

My EBUS/Batt Bus pulls about 7 amps with a full dual EFII ignition no fuel, dual screen G3X and a MidContinent SAM backup EFIS. The Aeroelectric Z-13 with the SD8 worked as advertised, It made my real main alt failure a non-event on a long cross country.

No fuel injection, just a dual ignition of which I'm trying to use a tcw 3 amh backup battery to give me enough juice to find a surface to land on. Thanks Crabandy, I followed Z-13 as best I could but I also went with the EFII bat bus option. I just want something to automatically kick in should the bat bus and the backup alt fail.

EIGN-4-1 current draw

Hi Luis,
The EIGN-4-1 system draws an average current of 1.2A at high rpm.
The breaker values are short circuit protection.

Robert

Back