VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-02-2017, 04:33 PM

Well my main spars are just about done. Let me tell you, countersinking them big ole tank attach points on the spar was no easy task! Well let me rephrase, it's not an easy task if you want to avoid the countersink bit from chattering all to heck! I found What works best is to put a lot of weight into the drill while spinning the countersink at slow speed (one or two rotations per second). I set the countersink about .003 short of the final depth and ran through all of the holes. My table is a little tall and my elbow was feeling the pain so I eventually stood on top of a bucket to get easier leverage. Then I went back through them all and finished the last three thousandths with high speed. The access cover holes are a little easier as they are smaller than the tank so no worries there.

20170629_122224 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170629_122247 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170628_110531 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Working on Fuselage
Finish kit on order
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:39 PM

What I had to do on my countersink was to hold the bottom of it with my fingers and and braced up against the spar and use high speed and went easy with them.

Seeing you post about your wings, reminds me I need to update my own VAF build thread with my progress. I have been keeping it up to date on my website, but not here. I'm slacking. heh.
Wing Kit Started - June 2017
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017
Old 07-03-2017, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubedRoot View Post
What I had to do on my countersink was to hold the bottom of it with my fingers and and braced up against the spar and use high speed and went easy with them.

Seeing you post about your wings, reminds me I need to update my own VAF build thread with my progress. I have been keeping it up to date on my website, but not here. I'm slacking. heh.
Interesting Lynn, any kind of high speed on mine caused the bit chatter big time! I wouldn't worry too much about your build thread as you are keeping a really good one on your website! I frequent it pretty often, espescially since you have usually been one or two steps ahead of me.
Wings mostly done
Working on Fuselage
Finish kit on order
Old 07-05-2017, 07:37 AM

Well I made a minor boo boo the other day and thought I would post as a friendly reminder to pay attention!

The bottom picture is how it should look!

20170701_171506 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170701_175726 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Working on Fuselage
Finish kit on order
Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 AM

Well I have managed to be gone from my house for three weeks, it's nice to be back. One of those weeks was to go to Oshkosh for my first time and boy was it awesome! I have attached a few pics below. When the B-1B flew over one of my good "non-airplane" friends didn't expect the noise and said "it was so loud I gagged" haha awesome.

I have now seen all of our modern military fighter jets fly which was a nice and unexpected surprise (F-35)! This show also came at a very opportune time as I am now just starting rib deburring for the wings and have been dreading it!

20170724_121523 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170724_140932 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170724_144314 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170724_145401 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170724_154211 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170724_115150 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Working on Fuselage
Finish kit on order
Old 07-30-2017, 04:27 PM

Well now that the fun of Oshkosh is over I guess it's time to get something done again. I have started the wonderful process of deburring the wing ribs. Without question this is the biggest pain the a$$ I have experienced during the build thus far. Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist but who knows. I would say that the deburring process is taking me about 20 minutes per rib. At this posting I have about 11 hours into the ribs and I'm about half done with them.

My process is to run the edges over the scotchbrite wheel to polish up the flange edges (this does not remove the burrs on the corners, just smooths the flanges out a bit). The next step is to actually remove the burrs by running a small scotchbrite wheel the length of the flanges (works well and fast). The next step I take some thin sand cloth and "floss" all the nooks and crannies (this is the process I hate! and most time consuming). Finally I take the small scotchbrite wheel and debur the outside of all the nook and cranny areas.

I know it will all be worth it in the end but I can definitely see how some might get discouraged at this point in the build.

20170730_135922 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170730_135933 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170728_140158 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Working on Fuselage
Finish kit on order
Old 07-31-2017, 11:27 AM

Nice work! I don't think it was good planning on my part, but the ribs were an excellent winter project - I could do that in my basement. If you're still working, take a couple of ribs to work and sand them during coffee breaks while the other guys are out smoking.
GTN 625
GNC 255
GTR 20
GTX 45R
G5 x 2

Facebook "log" https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproject/
Old 07-31-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtZim View Post
Nice work! I don't think it was good planning on my part, but the ribs were an excellent winter project - I could do that in my basement. If you're still working, take a couple of ribs to work and sand them during coffee breaks while the other guys are out smoking.
Thanks for the kind words, I love seeing comments on my build thread! This would be a great winter project for sure if the timing was right. I am a high school teacher and the thought did cross my mind to have my students take 20 minutes and they would all be done! Too bad it is summer break... haha
Wings mostly done
Working on Fuselage
Finish kit on order
Old 07-31-2017, 04:58 PM

Well I have to give a major shout out to who ever figured this tool out. I have seen it many times on the forums so I'm not sure who the creator of it is.

I have found at times that many people make tools and I have tried as well but a lot of the times it never really works as expected (or at least not well enough to justify the time making it). Well folks, that is not the case with this one! This tool does a spectacular job at straightening the rib flanges! It takes less than a minute to run a rib through the tool all the way around. Definitely a must have! Only cost me about 10 bucks to make (steel bars and bolts). I used walnut for the handle because that's what I had laying around other than some high dollar bocote and rosewood which would have made a grown man cry to use for this application.

A couple of tips for those wanting to build this:

1. Keep the pivot point on the handle as low as possible for best leverage.

2. As others have discovered, 11 degrees on the 2 x 4 is the sweet spot.

3. Hardwood anywhere the bolts go through is a must as you put a fair amount of pressure on the handle.

4. Last step is to screw down the hardwood bolt section to the top while making sure the handle is firmly against the angled part of the 2 x 4.

Finally don't do as I did and leave the corners sharp, it will give you a blister!

20170731_145705 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

20170731_145736 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Working on Fuselage
Finish kit on order
Old 08-02-2017, 03:45 PM

Well I am waiting on some more deburing stuff (sand cloth and mini wheels) so I figured I would take care of some stuff to prep for the future. I decided to make the wing jig/stands, end plates for the wing stand, and the fuel tank/ leading edge cradle. I am really glad I took the time to do this as I would have been really frustrated later on with how much time it takes when I would rather be making progress on the wings. Doing this took a lot of time, like 5-8 hours worth, mainly because I kept forgetting things at Ace. The following pic is the result! I will try and take pictures at some of point of the fuel tank cradle but you have all seen one before I'm sure. When it comes time to set the wings on the cradle I will also clean out the sides of my garage a bit so I can get to the bottom of the wings. You can also see why I envy a lot of people on these forums that get to build in garage mahals!

20170802_133229 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings mostly done
Working on Fuselage
Finish kit on order