What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheap Engine Cleaner

Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
After looking around for a syphon sprayer to use for cleaning the engine on the RV with little luck I ordered one from the local MAC Tool truck. It won't be here for a few more days, but the cowl is off now. By chance while driving by Harbor Freight Tools I went in and gave them a shot. In the past this hasn't been a place that I shop at because tools are something that you traditionally get exactly what you pay for.

So there it is, exactly what I've been looking for all wrapped up in that plastic that only a small child can remove from the product except it has no price on it. The only thing that stands out when looking at the sprayer is the word "China" cast into the wand. With a scan at the register to see just how much this will cost to be able to clean the engine this weekend while waiting for my quality tool to arrive the answer is shocking. The kid at the register says that will be $5.99. Embarrassed I removed a $10 bill hoping that nobody is seeing me buy this piece of junk. But, I purchased it just the same.

So, how bad is it? It is fantastic! :D I used it yesterday and the dumb thing is just great.Everybody should have one of these things in their tool box. All you need is this sprayer, your compressor, and a can of odorless mineral spirits from your local hardware store to be in business.

Here are the particulars on this little $6 treasure.

Harbor Freight's:
Central Pneumatic Engine Cleaning Gun with 4' syphon hose
item #97014

Last edited:
Yup - this EXACTLY the kind of thing I like to buy from the...uhh..."low priced" places - I only use it once or twice a year, it's not critical if it breaks, and I can buy a dozen of them for what I'd pay for a "good" one. And despite what everyone says, the cheap one will probably outlast me, just to be contrary...

Paul

I have an even easier suggestion.....buy a can of GUNK or equivalent....cheap, water-based and does a good job for me.

Glenn Wilkinson

that "junk" isnt ready for comercial use but it does amazingly well around the house. i have plenty of it, but i'll wouldnt trade the good stuff for a ship load of it.

Back