What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Baggage Shelf

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I?m having small gaps on both sides in the corners of the baggage shelf. They are between the F-835-1 Rear Baggage Shelf and the F-808-1 bulkhead - see pic. Question is leave them alone or rivet on a small extension to narrow them down? What have others done here?

Close the gap

I do not recall having any space there at all in my build.

My recommendation is to close the gap. Small pieces of debris have a way of finding a home in places like the elevator bell crank.

Good luck.

Don

Joe,
I'll check my baggage area this weekend and take a picture if it is any different.
Either way I'll let you know what I find.
Mike

Just returned from the airport, fwiw my fuselage (QB circa 2006) has similar gaps.

Last edited:
I don't have the aft baggage parts in my fuselage at the moment but when I was fitting them I don't recall noting a similar gap. I would double triple check proper orientation and if they really do have a gap I would for sure close it up. As sure as a tiny piece can fall through there it will find its way to somewhere you don't want it to go.

Openings

This is normal. There is not structural reason to fill the gap. I will point out however that when installing the shelf if the screw slips it can drop through that slot and you spend some time retrieving it...I did not fill mine.

This is a normal gap for unknown reasons. I filled mine to keep debris from getting in there. I have had occasion for baggage to be flopping around from my failure to secure properly. Ive had items like pens and things make their way from the cabin to the baggage. I guess through the base corners of the seat back where there are large gaps.

No gap

The builder of my RV-8 either had no gap or did something to eliminate the gap ...

IMG_9414-575x431.jpg

Back