What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Random idea for 430 mounting

N546RV

Well Known Member
The time is approaching when I'll have to write a big check for avionics, so I'm getting pretty deep into panel planning. Up until now, I've been careful to keep my 430 positioned where it won't interfere with the forward upper brace. I've got one panel concept I like with dual 7" Skyviews, and now I'm trying to work out a single 10" Skyview concept (saves me $1800 for a second screen and I can get the touch interface!).

I really like the idea of having the Skyview centered high on the panel, and the 430 centered beneath it, but there's not room to mount the 430 down there and still have it clear the forward upper brace:

r0kJsJUl.jpg

While staring at my computer and moping about my layout not working, I had an idea: what if I could simply angle the 430 such that the back end would pass under the brace? Assuming my trig is right (debatable), angling it by just 10? would lower the back end by ~1.75", which looks to be more than enough to clear the brace with room to spare. (Actually, I think I could go as low as 5? and still clear the brace, but I'm not sure that the drawings I'm using are accurate enough to be sure)

I feel like I've seen where someone did something along these lines in an -* panel, but my searches have been fruitless. So: has anyone done this or something similar? How difficult would it be to do this? Does it seem feasible? Any other comments?

Thanks!

2 cents and gange, here.

We have found that every one likes something different in the look and feel of their panel. I think buy just looking at your plat, that this is not to scale. I would expect to see more room on the left and right of the left hand stack to be there in order to have the two radio stack rails on each side of that stack-up. We did a lot of hanger flying and found that the spot just above the stick at the bottom of the panel was best keep open if possible. That your right hand did most of the stick inputs as your left hand was working the throttle on that side of the cabin. So to keep the auto pilot and radios on the left hand side as high as we could put them where it worked best. If you put the auto-pilot control head or an audio panel at the top of the radio stack on the left hand side, it will give you at lot of room behind them as they are not that deep. Doing this also gives that left hand stack some room at the top to help in cooling. Keeping the radios and auto-pilot high like this also helps with your scan and takes less time to changes your in and out of cabin look around. This is less stressful and a little safer. Then we just moved over as close and a high as we could and put the 10" EFIS next to the left hand stack. I know this dose not hint at answering your angle of the dangle question, but it is your panel and you have to do what works for you on that one. Hope this helps. Yours as always. R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
I would position the 430 on the left side of the panel because you will find that you will be using your left hand to operate it and it will be much more convenient.

Philip,

You could think of using the same idea a couple of us did with the GRT displays on the RV-8 - we built two triangular pieces that created a central "wedge" sticking out of the panel. The displays aren't deep - we just wanted to slant them a bit - but the effect was to push the towards the pilot about an inch at the bottom. You could build a structure to push the 430 back (aft) by the required amount.

We have the IFR Navigator (was a 430W, currently an Avidyne IFD440) in our RV-3 dead center, down between the legs. It cancels the whole right hand/left hand debate (I almost always take my right hand off the stick and use it for data entry because my right hand does that sort of thing much more quickly, and I fly equally bad with either hand ;) ), is easy to read, and makes a nice symmetrical panel. You can't really put it down there in the -8, but where you are proposing is intriguing.

I did exactly as you suggest, and it works well. Added bonus is that it positions the 430 more in line with your field of vision. It was a bit of work to fab brackets to support the 430 at an angle, but what the heck we're building airplanes, right? Go for it.

may8b.jpg

The time is approaching when I'll have to write a
big check for avionics, so I'm getting pretty deep into panel planning. Up until now, I've been careful to keep my 430 positioned where it won't interfere with the forward upper brace. I've got one panel concept I like with dual 7" Skyviews, and now I'm trying to work out a single 10" Skyview concept (saves me $1800 for a second screen and I can get the touch interface!).

I really like the idea of having the Skyview centered high on the panel, and the 430 centered beneath it, but there's not room to mount the 430 down there and still have it clear the forward upper brace:

r0kJsJUl.jpg

While staring at my computer and moping about my layout not working, I had an idea: what if I could simply angle the 430 such that the back end would pass under the brace? Assuming my trig is right (debatable), angling it by just 10? would lower the back end by ~1.75", which looks to be more than enough to clear the brace with room to spare. (Actually, I think I could go as low as 5? and still clear the brace, but I'm not sure that the drawings I'm using are accurate enough to be sure)

I feel like I've seen where someone did something along these lines in an -* panel, but my searches have been fruitless. So: has anyone done this or something similar? How difficult would it be to do this? Does it seem feasible? Any other comments?

Thanks!

I would position the 430 on the left side of the panel because you will find that you will be using your left hand to operate it and it will be much more convenient.

Part of my rationale here is that the 430 will be an infrequently-used instrument. I've had a significant internal debate about whether I even want to do a certified GPS, and frankly I'm still somewhat on the fence. Anyway, I expect the vast majority of my flying to be VFR, so most of the time the 430 will be a secondary instrument. All that leads me to a point where I'm OK with the 430 not being in the absolute best, most usable position.

Keep in mind also that this particular layout isn't even half-baked. This is just me moving stuff around to get an idea of usable layout. I haven't put much thought into plausibility beyond the whole 430-brace interference issue. For that matter, I don't have the fuselage to a point yet where I can sit inside and chair-fly, which I think will be a useful exercise for panel planning.

Philip,

You could think of using the same idea a couple of us did with the GRT displays on the RV-8 - we built two triangular pieces that created a central "wedge" sticking out of the panel. The displays aren't deep - we just wanted to slant them a bit - but the effect was to push the towards the pilot about an inch at the bottom.

That was the general idea I had last night; some kind of wedge-shaped pieces on either side to push the bottom of the 430 out a bit. I couldn't really get very far with the feasibility of it since I don't know offhand what the 430 mounting tray looks like. I presume it wouldn't be too difficult, but between airplane building and software development, I've learned that "this shouldn't be too bad" generally falls in the "famous last words" category.

I did exactly as you suggest, and it works well. Added bonus is that it positions the 430 more in line with your field of vision. It was a bit of work to fab brackets to support the 430 at an angle, but what the heck we're building airplanes, right? Go for it.

This is exactly the install I was thinking about earlier. Generally speaking, how difficult was it to fab the brackets? Do you have any issues with the back of the 430 hanging down low, like you bump it with your knees or anything? I'd imagine that with it centered, it wouldn't be an issue, but this is exactly the kind of first-hand experience I'm looking for.

Here's a pic of the bracket - pretty simple. I also installed a strap brace - .060 x 3/4" wide I think - from the back of the 430 tray upwards that attaches to the fuselage cross brace with a screw and nutplate, which helps support the weight of the 430.

I don't have a problem with knee clearance, but then as you can see I also recessed the inside of the panel back 1.5 inches, so the lowest part of the 430 is further back. I doubt that knee clearance would be a problem with a standard panel.

430%20bracket.jpg

The time is approaching when I'll have to write a big check for avionics, so I'm getting pretty deep into panel planning. Up until now, I've been careful to keep my 430 positioned where it won't interfere with the forward upper brace. I've got one panel concept I like with dual 7" Skyviews, and now I'm trying to work out a single 10" Skyview concept (saves me $1800 for a second screen and I can get the touch interface!).

r0kJsJUl.jpg

Thanks!
I think the cross brace from the gear towers comes into play if the 430 is mounted to low on the panel I'm not at the shop to take a look just going from memory.

Back