What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propellor advice

drg340

I have an RV8 with an IO360 A1B 200HP.

I currently have a fixed pitch Sensenitch wooden prop 72/85 which I am looking to replace for better all round performance. Does anyone have personal experience of running a similar set up with a suggestion for prop replacement?

Please don't suggest constant speed, variable pitch, ground adjustable props thank you. I'm looking to keep it simple, light and affordable.

Standing by. Thank you.

A three blade Catto prop might be a good solution. I have a 2 blade Catto on my RV-8 and I have been very happy with its performance. Its light, somewhat affordable, very well made, and you can get it pitched to whatever performance envelope you want.

GT Propellers

I'd take a good look at GT Propellers. They have all of the above options (FP, CS, GA) and they have composite blades tailored for RVs' at a fraction of the cost of MT.

Two cents here.

A prop is kind of like a pair of shoes. Its what you want out of it and how you are going to use it. I have an 8 and a very good friend of mine has another 8. We both wanted just what you ask for in this thread. He went with a Cato 3 blade and I when with a Prince carbon "P" tip. Both do just what you ask, one bird is 1066lbs. and the other is 1048lbs. The only difference is two inches of pitch from the prop cut for 180 hp. and one cut for a 200hp. engine. I would do it again, so if you are looking you may wish to look at these two companies, they both are good people with very good props. Hope this helps. Yours as always, R.E.A. III # 80888

check the for sale props. There's a Sterba and a Catto that were up in the last month. One of those may work for you.

I went Catto for my new prop because, among other things, Mel says they're sexy. (and mine will be super sexy with matching paint and the nickel leading edge)

Just remember one thing, you cannot compare pitch numbers between different prop makers. The reason is they all seem to use their own pitch reference formula.

Back