What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Rail Question

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I?m installing the C-803 Canopy Rails and I might have a minor interference issue. When laying them on top of the F-816A Cockpit Rails parallel to the inboard edge the rails touch the WD-808 Front Seat Back Support.
So - move them slightly outboard or remove some material from the Canopy Rails? It is just 1/16".
Did others have the same issue?

No.

The canopy frame runs on the out-side, away from the roll bar. You can adjust the spacing as you need to and not have to remove any metal. You may also adjust the roll bar dawn just a smidge and have the 1/16 clearance you are looking far.. Hope this helps. Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888

Robert,
the canopy rail runs on the inside of the cockpit rails, only then can they run parallel to each other, so my picture should be correct. Ok, the frame runs on the outside. The 1/16" is the amount of material I might have to remove from the rail to get them exactly in line with the cockpit rails - don?r know however whether this is a must.

It's OK.

I looked at mine today. The roll bar is just touching the canopy rail track and the back side of the rail track is mostly in line with the inside edge of the airframe top plate at that location along it's length. I think you could even notch out the bottom edge of the canopy rail track a little if you wish, as long as it is not cut up into where the roller runs inside the track. You should be fine moving or cutting a little here or there on this subject.
Yours as always, R.E.A. III # 80888

So now I did the initial bending of the frame and it looks quite good already. I think I get away without notching the rails. But if it?s finally necessary I will not mind it and it will be only very little.

Sure.

Yes, this is a none structural issue so you can play with it a little here and there to make it come out as you like. Good job, and don't drink my share of the beer in October... Yours as always, R.E.A. III #80888

Back