What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your RV-4 !!!

RV-4, 432-403, sold 2001... New RV-4 will be built in near future :)

168570_488696915414_629405414_6206849_5484708_n.jpg

Dennis Isaksson, Sweden

Tim,
You gotta quit carrying so much speed into your base to final turn...the slipstream is bending your prop tips back! :eek:

You're also a bit high...I can see the curvature of the earth! :D

Nice pic!

RV4 Painting Finished....Finally!

When OK City holds up your special issuance it leaves plenty of time to do the job I've been putting off for the last year, repainting my plane. Medical and painting completion just happened to coincide and she flies beautifully with her new colors.

149p6io.jpg

N985MS

After 10 months, my son's graduation and USAF commissioning present completed a facelift. The restoration of my 1989 RV-4 included the rebuild of its O320-E3D, 160hp, dual PMags, Catto 3 blade, Aviation Products TW, removed vacuum instruments replaced with Dynon D6, Tru Trac Turn Coordinator, MGL Stratomaster 4 channel Engine Analyzer, new interior, pressure recovery wheel pants, new registration and paint.

102706b0.png

21f35da7.png

3304d9d1.png

8da64ff3.png

Last edited:
After 10 months, my son's graduation and USAF commissioning present completed a facelift. The restoration of my 1989 RV-4 included the rebuild of its O320-E3D, 160hp, dual PMags, Catto 3 blade, Aviation Products TW, removed vacuum instruments replaced with Dynon D6, Tru Trac Turn Coordinator, MGL Stratomaster 4 channel Engine Analyzer, new interior, pressure recovery wheel pants, new registration and paint.

How do you like the MGL instrument?

The MGL works well. Only have one EGT and CHT hooked up. Tach and Volts too. I think I can only hook up one more EGT and CHT. Dual PMags work great. Need to repitch the Catto prop. I can rev up to 2900 rpm.

The RV4 is a great plane. But an 1100 hp RV would be incredible. He is currently in the back of a JStars as an ABM. He is trying to apply to UPT ASAP. Not happy where he is now.

Bill Steele
RV-4 bought flying, Many upgrades
RV-8A bought flying
DHC-1 Chipmunk didn't buy but enjoy flying
PA28R201 sold
PA28140 sold
Cessna 150 sold
Cessna 172 sold

Last edited:
Taken on 14 May 11 over Alva, OK. Neither are my -4's; I was in the first airplane.

Last edited:
A Great thing!

Bill,
Wow, the day I finished UPT my Dad handed me the reins (no key needed) to our family Taylorcraft. It would fly for nearly 10 years until finishing my RV4. More than one squadron mate flew my RV4 and had to have one. The gift continues.
Like I told my Dad: Thanks, I love you too! :)

Smokey

"Shrek(RV4,6) and me"

All three of my RV's (HR2 as well) had MGL instruments in them. I really like their product. My RVX currently has an MGL Enigma which pound for pound has more capability than any EFIS out there for half the cost.

Last edited:
Me Flying Formation!!

I was able to participate in the formation clinic at Madera, CA
The experience was way over the top!! If you ever have the chance Do It !!

jpu9zt.jpg

Bill,
Wow, the day I finished UPT my Dad handed me the reins (no key needed) to our family Taylorcraft. It would fly for nearly 10 years until finishing my RV4. More than one squadron mate flew my RV4 and had to have one. The gift continues.
Like I told my Dad: Thanks, I love you too! :)

Smokey

"Shrek(RV4,6) and me"

All three of my RV's (HR2 as well) had MGL instruments in them. I really like their product. My RVX currently has an MGL Enigma which pound for pound has more capability than any EFIS out there for half the cost.
Smokey

There is nothing more gratifying than passing on to the ones we care the most about the things we care the most about. Thanks for sharing your story.

Bill

My new RV-4

After a few years of looking around, a few weeks ago I finally bought an already flying RV-4. After completing my transition training yesterday in an RV-7, I finally flew it today! Great airplane, although I must admit that I was nervous about flying it since I do not have much tailwheel time. It is serial number 377, started in the early 1980s. It sat untouched from 1993 until about 2008, when Scott Hess bought it and finished the project July 2010. I found out about this airplane right here on VAF, saw it, and fell in love with it. It has a 160hp engine, fuel injected, and a fixed pitch sensenich prop, and only had 71 hours total time when I bought it. Looking forward to many hours of fun with this airplane.

Since I don't know how to post pictures yet, attached is a link to the pictures I took today after my first flight.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108201...lightAugust62011?authkey=Gv1sRgCMCfm96_uuuJEw

Many thanks to the many VAF members (you know who you are) who have helped and encouraged me throughout this process, which took a few years. Could not have done it without them.

Thanks,

photo-12.jpg

[ed. Added one of the pics for you! dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
My RV4

Recently I purchased this RV4 from WA state - some work was done on it before I got it - but I've now done a whole bunch more to bring it up to Canadian air regulations standards - including a full 100 hour maintenance - and or annual inspection . It's now canadian registered - and I'm only now waiting for my new C of a to come in the mail. I have flown it - only the once to bring it here on an import ferry permit. Can't wait to start flying it - and do some aerobatics as well with it - once I get the permits in place to allow me to plac card it for certain aerobatic manuvers it's capable of. Mine has the optional aerobatic tank - in the left wing with a flop tube but that's it - no presure carb or inverted oil so all the manuvers must be positive G - basic loops - rolls - ingelman's - reverse cuban 8's - hammerhead's but maintaining positive G's. Should be a blast to fly - I can't wait! there are now about 14 or so various models of the Van's RV series amature built aircrafts here at our airport in Vernon BC , Canada.

If you email me at [email protected] I have no problems sending you some nice pic's of my RV4. Only other AC I would have consider either a harmon Rocket which some day I will own one and or the RV8.

sweet. nice looking RV4.

After a few years of looking around, a few weeks ago I finally bought an already flying RV-4. After completing my transition training yesterday in an RV-7, I finally flew it today! Great airplane, although I must admit that I was nervous about flying it since I do not have much tailwheel time. It is serial number 377, started in the early 1980s. It sat untouched from 1993 until about 2008, when Scott Hess bought it and finished the project July 2010. I found out about this airplane right here on VAF, saw it, and fell in love with it. It has a 160hp engine, fuel injected, and a fixed pitch sensenich prop, and only had 71 hours total time when I bought it. Looking forward to many hours of fun with this airplane.

Since I don't know how to post pictures yet, attached is a link to the pictures I took today after my first flight.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108201...lightAugust62011?authkey=Gv1sRgCMCfm96_uuuJEw

Many thanks to the many VAF members (you know who you are) who have helped and encouraged me throughout this process, which took a few years. Could not have done it without them.

Thanks,

photo-12.jpg

[ed. Added one of the pics for you! dr]

I too felt that way - but once you get used to it you will never have another trike gear plane! I too did some transition training with a Mike Segar in Veronia - OR - in an RV7 tail dragger - that training was all I needed to nail my landings. Easy trick don't look at the wheels or the ground near the plane after leveling off - assuming you are OK with doing that - at approx. the right hieght about the tarmac - look way down at the end of the runway - and continue to feed more and more back pressure - you will be on the ground before you know it. then simply continue to hold full back and don't touch those brakes until it's slowed - keeping the plane straight with minor adjustments with the rudders - once it's slowed enough feed in - very light brakes evenly - until you are down to taxi speed. That's how I learned to do 3 point landings - full stall which is what's recomended with these. 2 wheel landings can be a bit more tricky and there is more that can go wrong. Also don't panic if it bounces a bit - however there is a line there if it bounced really bad - it's your call you can level the nose and power up and go around to re attempt - again this is tricky too and can be dangerous. He taught me to simply continue to hold back pressure it will come down again and settle usually after 2 - 3 bounces . I find the 4 is way less likely to do this then the 7 we trained in - I think it's due to it's much lighter wieght. Mine lands really nice - and I love the way it handles on the ground - not to mention in the air!

I too don't know how to post my image to this blog sight I would If I knew how. I don't have my own URL so I can post that up I would have to put some pic's up on a URL first I think. but I have not problems emailing anyone who would like to see mine. Mine has only the 150HP I would love to upgrade that some day to 160 and or perhaps even the 340 stroker - titan engine with 177HP. it's about the same wieght as my 0320 and same size too - just has slightly longer stroke which gives it the larger bore and more power too. 17000 I think they are brand new - but you have to assemble them - they will assemble for about 3G - I thought that's a pretty good price compared to 26G at lycoming. Mine has only237 hours so I'm away's away from needing a new engine.

Well, this isn't OF my RV-4...

But it is FROM my RV-4. We stopped for fuel in Butte, MT, last June, and got stuck in-between THESE guys...

903o82.jpg

2vmcx8w.jpg

My RV-4 is FAR from a hangar queen, but she has taken me across the country and back safely, shown me the beauty and expanse of America, introduced me to friends I never knew I had and will treasure forever, and allowed me to achieve dreams I never thought possible.

PH-EIL sitting in the October sun at Muenster/ Germany ...

... after a nice polishing job (pics taken with my Blackberry Torch):

288ny2r.jpg

2qtzh2q.jpg

I am so glad that I have it - so I just needed to post this, Heinz
P.S. .. and yes, I like the Bogart bar which I left attached on pic #1, too :p.

Last edited:
New to me RV-4 N2ZK

Just took delivery of my RV-4 N2ZK.
Took he up for my first flight today, was a blast.
Small-N2ZK.JPG

Hobo checking it out before first flight:

Small-Hanger-Hobo.jpg

Great going John! A beautiful -4. It is going in my -4 sideshow album. Got any more photos & details???

Best regards & have fun flying!! :)

Details

Thanks for asking. I think it is an amazing airplane. I really did take 22 years to build it, purchased the plans in 1987. Lots of things can happen in that amount of time. I suppose I was lucky to finish. I did everything, including the painting, except SteinAir wired the intercom. It has an 0-320D1A with an Airflow Performance injection system, inverted fuel and oil, Hartzel CS prop, a very simple electric system with the 10"Dynon Skyview for instrumentation. Empty weight(full oil and 3/4 gal fuel) is 1037lbs. I might configure it a little differently if I could start over but so far the airplane is working perfectly and exceeding my expectations. The pilot is coming up well short but what a fun challenge to have.

Congratulations John! 22 years!! Looks like you did a beautiful job. That does not surprise me at all. I hope to get an up close look at it one of these days.

This was a pic of my RV4 that has since been sold. I really miss it a bunch.....but...on to the next build.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's different about this RV-4?

First flight was Oct 25, 2012. Not mine, but local. See how many differences from a stock RV-4 you can find.

rv4-rg.jpg

First flight was Oct 25, 2012. Not mine, but local. See how many differences from a stock RV-4 you can find.

rv4-rg.jpg

Retracts on mains and tail wheel.
Speed slope windscreen.
Fastback
Slider

I would like to see more on how he did the slider. Any pics of the inside?

My first RV-4

I bought it a few mouths ago.. Some will recognize this plane. It lives in the KC area now. Based at K59...

PB160062_zps6cbbbd75.jpg.html

Last edited:
My 4

As you may have seen on the front page today, Grady has finished painting my 4...finally it's REALLY almost a finished airplane. Been flying for a little over a year. Only lack the tail art :) and finishing touches on the smoke system! Can't wait to get her home!

RV-4-5.jpg

Last edited:
RV4 #2973

Completed in 2002, but I cannot take credit for the build. I'm in the process of a significant modification including the repainting of fiberglass. UPDATE: Pic of RV-4 after repaint red. Side by side with my new RV-8

36652fd8-bb23-4134-a6f8-b4d85f1b7108_zpsa4682476.jpg

Last edited:
Purchased 126RV (serial #126 & apparently the 8th -4 to fly) a few weeks ago. It was built by Bob Olds in 1983 and I believe I'm about the 5th owner. 1550 TTAF/E with Inverted Fuel (Ellison TB) and Oil.

She's not the prettiest -4 you've seen when you get close but is a good, basic VFR airplane that is FUN!

xzs2WYY.jpg

[edit]
...searching through the web and ran across some old Vans archives. Bob Olds had posted a picture of my plane over northern California, circa 1985. Figure I'd update the post for archival purposes!

bYMIOe3.jpg

Last edited:
Back