VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-01-2018, 10:01 AM

Default Fuel and vent line grommets

Van's specify (DWG 39) AN931 grommets. They require 3/4" and 1" holes.
Why not use SB-437 bushings?

Or, is it actually possible to install (push in over the skin) the grommets with the vent/fuel line inside the grommet, allowing the AN818 nuts to pass through the skin holes?

In other words, can you fabricate the line with grommets, nuts sleeves and flares on both ends and then feed nuts and line through hole in skin and then push the grommet in place in the skin?

Finn
Old 11-01-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnFlyer View Post

Or, is it actually possible to install (push in over the skin) the grommets with the vent/fuel line inside the grommet, allowing the AN818 nuts to pass through the skin holes?

In other words, can you fabricate the line with grommets, nuts sleeves and flares on both ends and then feed nuts and line through hole in skin and then push the grommet in place in the skin?

Finn
Never thought of fabricating the line with the grommet installed. Most just slice one side of the grommet and push it over the line.
The fittings will go through the holes allowing you to fabricate the line on the bench.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:32 AM

Default Plastic push-ins

I used the plastic grommets that came with the kit for internal line runs. Small hole, and they slip right over the vent lines. I installed mine with a dab of Proseal and they are there for life, and sealed from exhaust gas entry.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixnflyguy View Post
I used the plastic grommets that came with the kit for internal line runs. Small hole, and they slip right over the vent lines. I installed mine with a dab of Proseal and they are there for life, and sealed from exhaust gas entry.
Same here however the hole in the fuselage for the main fuel line is 1Ē so you can get the fittings through. The rubber grommet lends itself better at that location.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
RV1 - Proud Pilot.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Default Grommets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnFlyer View Post

Finn
My lines are TS Flightlines but concept is the same.
I basically did. I drilled holes only big enough for fittings. Grommets were installed on the lines as they were snaked through holes then massaged into place in the hole. Not easy but holes are pretty well sealed. A dab of proseal will seal them completely.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/01/2017. Plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (1,800+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
My lines are TS Flightlines but concept is the same.
I basically did. I drilled holes only big enough for fittings. Grommets were installed on the lines as they were snaked through holes then massaged into place in the hole. Not easy but holes are pretty well sealed. A dab of proseal will seal them completely.
I have done this also, however, last time I just split the grommet. So much easier and you can not tell it was cut. Seems to be sealed well enough. No air leaks.
If you donít split the grommet, a heat gun on a low setting helps soften it so you can massage it over the fittings a bit easier.

FYI. I pulled my hoses (older rubber with a Service life) and made hard lines. It is a right of passage to make these lines on a 6. Hose weighs more (a lot more, like a few ounces ), May have a Service life, and, most importantly, its cheating.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
RV1 - Proud Pilot.